1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy S2 power button not working right

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by chargersrool, Jul 25, 2013.

1. chargersrool

chargersrool Member

I have a galaxy S2, I dont think the model matters, but a couple days ago it accidentally dropped on the tile floor, but with a case. But now the power button doesnt work, and when I push it, it does one of three things
    -turn off my phone
    -asks me if I want to shut the phone off
    -sleeps

I think this has something to do with the hardware. Is there any way to fix it?

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Does Power wake the phone as normal?

3. chargersrool

chargersrool Member

Yes it does, but sometimes I have to press it multiple times, then the phone wakes up, then turns off. Im guessing its caused by the button being stuck?

4. funkylogik

Yeah sounds like it man. I use my home button to make the phone sleep/wake just because its convenient usiin Nova Launcher but i cant remember if it needs root. Ill check it out man.
    Does Home wake your phone as it is?

5. chargersrool

chargersrool Member

No it does not sadly, Thanks for the help. I will check out nova launcher

6. funkylogik

Cool. See if the free Nova has the Gestures And Buttons setting. If it has i can tell u how to make home put the phone to sleep (while on home screen)
    I dont know how my home button wakes the phone tbh lol... maybe its nova or maybe the ROM im on...

7. iTzKPanda

iTzKPanda AF's resident panda

I had this exact problem.
    I googled around and checked XDA and I found out that the power button may be loose or moved out of place a little bit.

I took a small screwdriver to unscrew the 6 screws on the back of the phone (after you remove the cover). I used a guitar pick to "pop" the screen from the rest of the phone. Once I did that, I just wiggled the power button a little bit and pressed it a couple times to make sure there was a clicking noise. I put the phone back together and sure enough the power button worked.

chargersrool and funkylogik like this.
  8. chargersrool

chargersrool Member

Awesome thank you so much, I need to find a replacement for a pick though. Ill find something.

9. funkylogik

Something like a disposable plastic knife, nothing metal :thumbup:
    Good luck man. Look on youtube for a vid about fixing it or at least a "tear down" vid so u know what youre dealin with :beer:

chargersrool likes this.