• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 SGH T-989

Ghack

Nov 4, 2012
Hey guys, i recently got a Galaxy 2 SGH T-989 with T-Mobile Sim Card.
But i live in other country and i want to unlock the phone.
So, my questions are: 1. Can i update the phone to KitKat and after that unlock it?
2. If i unlock the phone with 2.3.6 Gingerbread, can i update the phone to new versions of Android (if i update what happens whith IMEI)?

Sorry if i posted this in wrong section :)
Thanks indeed :D

1) The SIM lock and the version of Android have nothing to do with each other. Once the phone is unlocked you can flash any version of any ROM that will work on the phone and it'll still be unlocked.

2) The radio frequencies used in the phone may not be the ones used in your country for data. In that case, nothing you can do will make it work in your country. (It should work for voice and text anywhere there's GSM service.)

As far as putting Kit Kat into it, you'll have to find a Kit Kat update for that particular model phone - which you probably won't. It only goes up to 4.3 for a few countries, and 4.1.x or 4.2.x for the rest.

Reactions: Ghack
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones