• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S24 Series

I think after the Note 7 debacle Samsung put extra attention into its batteries and battery management, so that's probably the last thing you have to worry about.
I bought my S9 used on Swappa over 5 years ago. I usually keep the battery close to full, on wireless at home or work and plugged in while driving. Still doing fine.

Upvote 0
Something that caught my attention in the video that I shared earlier, is that the person said that once the charge hits 100%, that counts as a cycle, and there is a limited number of cycles (implied). The big question is approximately how many cycles before the battery is degraded? It may be so many that it doesn't matter. I'm still going with adaptive setting, but the results and learning may be slanted because I have irregular sleep hours.

Upvote 0
I don't worry about the battery at all. I have two Motorola Droids and a Galaxy Nexus that still charge and power on after more than a decade. Considering the advances in battery technology since then, I'll use the phone the way I want with no consideration for battery longevity.

It's nice that Samsung is offering seven years of updates, but I'm sure they know that nobody is going to keep a phone that long. Seven years ago I bought a Galaxy Note 8... and it's ancient tech by today's standards.

Hey, i still have my Note 9 :unsure:

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Something that caught my attention in the video that I shared earlier, is that the person said that once the charge hits 100%, that counts as a cycle, and there is a limited number of cycles (implied). The big question is approximately how many cycles before the battery is degraded? It may be so many that it doesn't matter. I'm still going with adaptive setting, but the results and learning may be slanted because I have irregular sleep hours.
Hard to say what equates to a cycle since I use my phone for Android Auto when I'm driving since I live in So Cal and need the live map to gauge traffic; my Sony head unit is wired Android Auto so it trickle charges my phone while hooked up. I've toyed with the idea of getting a wireless A-A head unit but don't want to throw another few hundred bucks to replace the one I installed just 3 years ago, though I do like when I rent cars on business trips and most have wireless A-A.

Anyway, back to the topic, I often see my S10+ reach 100% after driving to get to my destination or to return home, and thus far it doesn't appear to have degraded my battery's charging capacity. Likely the charging circuitry is governed well by Optimize or Adaptive so as to block trickling once full capacity is reached.

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
When does deterioration start? I think Apple said they test their batteries for 600-700 cycles. I guess that mean you shouldn't have any notable deterioration for a couple of years, and they do last a lot longer than 2 years.

It also is going to depend on the quality of the batteries. Remember the Samsung battery swelling and fires?

Upvote 0
When does deterioration start? I think Apple said they test their batteries for 600-700 cycles. I guess that mean you shouldn't have any notable deterioration for a couple of years, and they do last a lot longer than 2 years.

It also is going to depend on the quality of the batteries. Remember the Samsung battery swelling and fires?
I'm at 4 years and a bit more on my S10+, and typically do overnight recharge on wireless pad, so that means I'm at least 1460 cycles along with the times I'm plugged into my car. So far the battery is not manifesting extra heat nor swelling.

Fire Anecdote: I saw battery swelling on my wife's Dell laptop about a year ago, it's because she works remote ever since the coronavirus panic so I can see her computer when she needs some tech help. I noted that the trackpad looked pregnant and asked her when it started - she had no idea. So I asked her to open an IT ticket about it and the company arranged to send her a new laptop. Am glad that thing is out of the house.

Upvote 0
Hey, i still have my Note 9 :unsure:
Great! It's a fantastic phone with the fingerprint scanner in the perfect spot - and the S Pen on the right side! It's been a struggle to get used to the S Pen on the left (aka "wrong") side and the fingerprint scanner under the smudge magnet screen. However, time marches on and so does progress: once you do upgrade to a new phone, I think you'll be shocked by the advances.

Upvote 0
Another S24 exclusive: the Galaxy Ring!

I had to get used to wearing my Galaxy Watch 5 Pro at night to track my sleep patterns (as someone who has central sleep apnea, that's extremely important to me). I'm used to not wearing anything when I'm asleep - so at least a ring would be more tolerable.

Upvote 0
I won't tell you she wears the same thing, then...

;)

I need you to tell me where the setting is to set S Pen detach and attach sounds. I went to Advanced features - S Pen - and turned on sounds, but I can't find anywhere to specify those ogg files. There used to be an app that did that, but it died off a long time ago.

UPDATE:

Never mind, I found it. To set the attach and detach sounds, the Pentastic module in Good Lock does the trick. I set "Custom" and set the sounds. The one thing I can't control is the volume: this thing is consistently LOUD unless I have the system sounds all the way off!

Last edited:
Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
Another S24 exclusive: the Galaxy Ring!

I had to get used to wearing my Galaxy Watch 5 Pro at night to track my sleep patterns (as someone who has central sleep apnea, that's extremely important to me). I'm used to not wearing anything when I'm asleep - so at least a ring would be more tolerable.

Not the type of "Ring" I was hoping it was :sneaky: ;) :goofydroid:

rachel mcadams season GIF

Upvote 0
I won't tell you she wears the same thing, then...

;)

UPDATE:
The one thing I can't control is the volume: this thing is consistently LOUD unless I have the system sounds all the way off!

I can't touch that! No really, I can't!

Awesome that you found it. The loud sound may be because it was recorded loud. Mine is not loud, but just right. Try the files over at www.pixabay.com which is where I got mine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the Kindle app (because I'm an author and need to proof my work) and it has no problem with PDFs
I can open the PDF's, but I have to save them first, or else I get that error. It gives you that choice to open or save. If you select open, the error below pops up. It started a few years ago with the Note 8, then S22 and now the S24. Lots of complaints but no fixes. One site said that Microsoft was aware and working on a fox, but that has been for years now.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
are these pdf's from websites? or are they from emails? are you downloading them first? or are you trying to open without downloading?
Websites. I get an option to either open or save the PDF. If I try to open, I get the error above. If I save it, then I can open it without any problems. Back in the day, this was never a problem. In the past few years, it's become a problem. I googled the error above and many suggestions, but no solution works.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones