• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S7 to booted into Factory Mode after using new cable, now won't charge

orbsonb

Lurker
Nov 5, 2017
I have a Galaxy S7. After a long car trip today, I realized I did not have my phone cable onhand, so I bought a generic usb cable + wall charger at a convenience store to use. My phone was not charged (dead, battery at 0%) when I plugged it in for the first time with the new charger. The phone immediately booted into Factory/Download mode, which I had never seen before. I left the phone on the charger for 10-15 minutes while I looked up a solution.

I was able to get the phone out of this mode by holding home+power+volume down. However, I noticed that the phone's battery was now no longer charging - it was at 14% when I turned the phone on after getting out of Factory mode, and remained at 14% after an hour on the charger. I checked that the charger was plugged in fully, which it was - the phone displayed the battery charging icon.

I then shut the phone off and turned it back on - the display was now showing that the battery was 100% charged, but it continuously decreased by about 1% every 30 seconds. Plugging the phone into the charger still caused the charging icon to appear, but did not affect the rate at which the charge percentage was dereasing. I then booted the phone into safe mode and made sure to turn off any battery-draining apps via the settings menu. Even after doing this, in Safe Mode, the battery charge level decreases by 1% every minute or so when not plugged in, and holds steady (does not increase or decrease) when the charger IS plugged in.

I believe the problem may be simply that the charger is faulty, but the fact that the charging icon appears despite the phone not charging , the strange jump from 14 to 100 percent charge after rebooting the phone, and the strange forced boot into Factory Mode that occurred when I first used the charger concern me. Is it possible that this is a hardware issue with the phone, or should I just buy an official charger and expect the problem to be fixed? Thank you!

EDIT: The phone is now charging normally after sitting in Safe Mode for about an hour. Still not sure what was going on.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones