• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Tab as head unit in car?

ovrrdrive

Android Expert
Dec 18, 2009
Anyone consider using a tab as a head unit in a car?

It appears to be almost the same size as a double din radio but only thinner. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to fabricate a mount for it and use velcro or something to mount it in the dash and just have a few plugs to snap in for charge and audio...

Just an idea I've been kicking around. I could tether it to my phone and either do pandora or music from the sd. Not to mention nav too.

Has this been discussed at all?

I guess your ford has an audio input for the stereo too right?

My chevy doesn't so I'd have to add an amp to it to get any sound from it but I have several laying around.

Have a pic of it in place?

Most new Fords have Microsoft Sync. It allows you to Sync through Bluetooth. It will stream Pandora or any Music player you choose to launch. You can put a playlist on and change tracks with the steering wheel buttons. The Google Nav will cut the music out when turn voice promps are needed. Ford Sync and the Tab are a marriage made in heaven. My Ford Flex will even send a Vehicle Report to the Tab.

Upvote 0
I posted this in the accessories thread but though I'd post it here as well:

Galaxy Tab Headrest Mount | Rear Seat Headrest Car Mount for Samsung Galaxy Tab
sm517.png

It comes with an adhesive disc for attaching to your dash / console, or you could just stuck it on your windshield. Not bad for $20.

Upvote 0
This thought has occurred to me too, I have a Pioneer AVIC and I get annoyed from time to time by the little "niggles" (looking for contacts in a 200+ library for one), all of which would be solved if there was an android on the system.

High end head units cost well in excess of three times the price of a Tab, yet all they have extra is a DVD-drive (you never use) and an amplifier. I really don't see why others haven't picked up on this, or even Samsung, if there was a double-din dock for a Tab, I'd buy a Tab and the dock in a heartbeat.

Well, we still have "AutolinQ" to look forward to.

Upvote 0
I know this isn't the Galaxy tab but Scosche could do the same I would think for our GT's.Someone made a docking station for the iPad in a subaru that replaced the radio bezel and the iPad was then the headunit using and amp and adapter. Something like this would be ideal. The hard part would be generating the demand for a company to do this.

http://www.mp3car.com/blogs/145364_iPad-Bezel-for-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-Available-Q1-2011.html

Scosche Has an option for the ipad:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?p=3230317

Upvote 0
If the tab car mount from samsung was cheaper (or atleast sold at best buy) I would mount it in my car as a head unit. I would still use my pioneer but hopefully the audio and some power (not a full 2a) could go through the samsung 30pin/usb connection to the pioneer (aux). That way you dont have to plug in aux and usb, as I do now from the passenger seat.

I emailed bracketron.com about supporting the tab. They make a lot of vehicle specific mounts for things like sat. radio. Havent heard back yet :O

Upvote 0
I have an OBDII scanner with Bluetooth output and the software is a custom software called PortableDashboard. I leave the OBDII device connected and mounted under the airbox cover and I have the Tab dock running to my Aux power so it will stay charged. When I go ridding, all I do is snap the Tab into the dock, fire up the bike and software and go. The app shows real time fuel milage and miles remaining. I can also set the GPS then load the dashboard software and when it is time to turn, the GPS pops up to let me know. If I am listening to music, I hear the directions.

I use a simular set-up in my truck using the PLX Kiwi bluetooth device. Not as cool as the software for my bike.

Upvote 0
I've been thinking about doing this for a while.

My car hasn't got any bluetooth or usb sync capability so the charging would be an issue but all needed to put audio into any car would be the standard galaxy tab dock (with aux out) and a small amplifier. Someone more proficient in engineering would be able to wire a usb socket to the cars battery (apparently quite easy) which would then provide power

Upvote 0
Here is how I am using my Tab on my motorcycle. Speedometer, GPS, and MP3 player.

MJB

What app do you have running? And how did you mount that? I'm interested in doing this with my old android.

Edit: I see what app you're using, I wish I had OBDII on my bike but it's too old. Great looking software, might not be nearly as useful w/o obdii though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones