• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Game Change: Verizon Completes VoLTE and the effects on the Motorola Nexus

NeXuS4

Android Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2012
As most of you guys are probably aware back in 2008 when Big Red was trying to get it's grubby little mitts on the "white space" freed up by the FCC's mandatory switch of analog to digital airwaves our beloved Google was the ONLY corporation powerful enough to stand in it's way. As the bidding rose and rose Google eventually revealed their true intentions, forcing Verizon to accept several concessions in exchange for gaining the largest LTE network in the states.

When Google omitted LTE on the Nexus4 the main reason they cited was they did not want Verizon to screw up it's flagship device like they did the Galaxy Nexus. In other words as long as Verizon was relying on CDMA for voice services they had free reign to control their network as they please and Google knew it.

However in 2013 when they do complete the VoLTE Network and render CDMA obselete the poison pill Google made them swallow in 2008 kicks in and they will have no other choice but to allow MVNOs to utilize their completed VoLTE Network. (My interpretation of the rules forced by Google so please correct me if I'm wrong.)

With this in mind there is no reason that Google won't include LTE supported by Verizon on the Motorola Nexus whether they actually carry it or not (my guess is that they will since Motorola is synonymous with Verizon but Google will still offer it unlocked to developers and consumers)

So I guess I wrote this article to point out that while no LTE on Nexus4 makes since the odds are very good the Droid Nexus will, and yes, it will be on Verizon's Network.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_2008_wireless_spectrum_auction

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones