• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Garmin Topo Maps for Android

n1ghtwish

Feb 17, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I recently started doing some hiking again (been a while) and after searching for a bit, I realized that there really aren't any good topographic mapping apps out there for Android. Since Google (maps/nav) needs network access to render its maps, it's pretty much useless in areas with no coverage.

So I did some digging and I also searched the forums and I don't think this has been posted yet.

The following is a link to a tutorial which explains how take a topographic map, pick out a specific area, convert the map to PNG format and read it with an offline GPS app called OruxMaps.

Here is the link:
Garmin Topographic Maps for Android Phone MrFloris

I have not personally tried this out yet, but I plan to as soon as I get home from work today... I will give insight as to how well this actually works. Anyone else who is interested should check this out and post your results here!!

back country navigator is making a topo map viewer app for android and you can download a beta copy. there is a link to the .apk file on this page Second Beta build for Android: Map Zooming and Screen Real Estate. I couldn't run it by copying it to my sd card, only could get it to run by downloading it directly to the phone using the phones browser. it is pretty sweet from what little i have played with it. downloaded a topo for my location and found some for places in canada i've been to. i believe it will eventually be a paid for app when it is complete.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones