• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GB complaint / how to - get rid of white backgrounds?

Thanks...my problem is I made the mistake of accepting the OTA so looks like my only option is to SBF back to Froyo, which I really want to avoid since my DX runs smoother with GB. But I guess installing a rooted GB from there is an option. Anyway seems like lots of people like the functionality but hate the UI. Looks like they changed lots of GUI styles/colors just for the sake of change.

Upvote 0
Welp.......

Here's my weigh-in on this.. Take it for what it's worth. You don't have to bother with rooting to get the white off the bottom, if you don't want to. When I flashed goLauncher, it removed the white. Personally, I like the white. But that's just me. :)

Upvote 0
Welp.......

Here's my weigh-in on this.. Take it for what it's worth. You don't have to bother with rooting to get the white off the bottom, if you don't want to. When I flashed goLauncher, it removed the white. Personally, I like the white. But that's just me. :)
Are you talking about the dock background? I think the OP was talking about the menus, etc.

Upvote 0
Well if he uses a existing theme what would have to be done? Pretty much change the icons back to stock, return the notification bar back to stock, and...I'm sure i'm missing a thing or two here....lol.

You know Bouchigo if you would just teach me how to do this stuff I could help out but NOOOOOOO. It's some kind of big secret cause you don't wanna lose your thunder.....lmao....:p

Upvote 0
O'k. I'll ask a question. What are the rock bottom minimum programs you need to create a theme? I'm aware of 7zip to open archives inside archives. I'm aware of Android tools. What else do I need?

I put this aside for a bit but I REALLY REALLY want to learn how to do this. I have looked for tutorials online but every one I find isn't very clear on all steps.

I even looked on Youtube but can't find anything on making themes as a whole. Just stuff on how to change icons and stuff.

Upvote 0
Not going to be able to do this wally. My research is starting to pick its pace up so I don't have time. I sat down and got everything set back up for this stuff since I recently wiped my mac. And then I had a flashback to when I was doing this stuff for fission. And I was daunted. Sorry. If you want black then flash Bo's BWC. It looks really nice!

Reactions: Wally World
Upvote 0
Wow thanks guys...this is all great. I am using ADW launcher pro so I have everything set the way I like with that except when I go into the stock GB screens (dialer, menus etc) and those are what I would like reverted back to the black froyo style. Like I said I would prefer to do it without having to sbf back to froyo then root because I'm gonna wait to see if the OTA GB gets rooted. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
So I like GB functionally, but I hate the color layout with the exception of the dark notification bar. Is there a way other than rooting to change all these damn default backgrounds from white back to black like they were in my Froyo?

Well if you rooted, you could flash apex rom that goes back to black backgrounds... looks like froyo with gingerbread green

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones