• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General questions from a soon-to-be-magic-owner

plinth

Lurker
Aug 28, 2009
Hey, I think I'm going to get a Magic soon (on Vodafone in the UK) and I've seen a lot of talk about rooting, roms, cupcake and even running the Hero sense ui on the Magic.

I'd like to know what are the main benefits to tweaking/changing/upgrading the Magic's OS, or if I should just stick to what comes out of the box.

I know Vodafone tend to brand their handsets heavily, which I don't like, and would prefer the Magic to be as Google/HTC intended it - would rooting/a ROM change this? (I've flashed & debranded my old K800 in the past which improved it no end)

Thanks

Hey, I think I'm going to get a Magic soon (on Vodafone in the UK) and I've seen a lot of talk about rooting, roms, cupcake and even running the Hero sense ui on the Magic.

I'd like to know what are the main benefits to tweaking/changing/upgrading the Magic's OS, or if I should just stick to what comes out of the box.

I know Vodafone tend to brand their handsets heavily, which I don't like, and would prefer the Magic to be as Google/HTC intended it - would rooting/a ROM change this? (I've flashed & debranded my old K800 in the past which improved it no end)

Thanks

I really suggest you root and use a custom ROM... There is a lot to choose from, just take the one that fits your need most.

Upvote 0
+1 to badabing.

Well there are many many, really countless and evergrowing benefits. For example, you can do a nandroid backup to FULLY backup everything on your phone.

You can flash custom ROMs, which is the biggest deal. For exampe, CyanogenMod ROM is very very fast, much faster than stock, has tons of optimizations, landscape mode pretty much everywhere, and also Multitouch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones