• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

General Questions. I need help. I dont understand

Hello All,

Im very new at this but from what i know this is all very interesting and i want to learn more. I do have a few questions that i could not find answers to.

• What is the difference between operating systems? as far as Andriod 1, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0.
  • Ive seen some phone that strictly run 1.0 or 1.5 or 2.0 but there are also some phones that run 1.5 + something else. Can someone explain this to me?
  • I dont have an android phone yet but i want one. If i get a pgone that is running 1.0 and i want to upgrade it to 2.0 is that possible? Or if the phone i get is running 1.5 + custom ui can i get that to just run 1.5 or 2.0? Or if i get a phone and android comes out with a new version like 2.5 can I upgrade my phone to it?
  • What is the most powerful device out or coming out? I dont care what carrier but if i get a phone i want it to be the best device. I would also want it to have the latest version of android but if i can upgrade it then it doesnt matter. I am also unsure about getting a phone with a custom ui ontop of android because i only want what google is making. I dont know how good a custom ui will be. Am i right?
  • Im also seeing alot of videos about ROM's what are they what do they do and why are they so cool? and why do some of them suck?
for all of my questions i dont need to know how to do them just the info behind them and what they they are.

Thank you all in advance for helping me out!

Does anyone know the answers to my questions?

I want to gt the best device i can but i dont know anything really about these phones. i want to learn what "rooted" means and what "ROMs" are. i dont need to know how to root my phone because i dont have one.

Can anyone help with my questions here and in my previous post? or am I posting this in the wrong place?

Upvote 0
i recommend reading the following

Android | Official Website and Android Developers

should help you out.

the differences are OS builds/releases. 1.0 is the first build and 2.0 is the latest. as far as i know you can upgrade from one to the next but im not 100% positive as i just switched to android. i know that, right now, the motorola droid is the only phone running 2.0 and will be for a bit.

as far as im concerned, the best android phone right now is the droid. although, this is all really based on personal preference (size of phone, shape, physical keyboard, etc.).

if you dont want anything other than what google builds, dont install any apps not built by google. it is an open source phone so you should know that customizing it is the point... also, you probably dont need to worry about apps that you download through the market. the ui is almost the same across all android phones but, again, its customizable because thats the point.

rooting is to android what jailbreaking is to the iphone. basically its opening your phone up (not physically) past what is made available to you from your provider. not sure if rooting your phone voids any warranties or not though.

roms are the firmware that make the phone work. apparently you can flash them and change the functionality.

hope that helps. if im incorrect on anything, feel free to correct me people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones