• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Generic GS2 ICS Rom or region/carrier specific

redgabe

Jan 17, 2012
Hi,

I was wondering if there was an official stock samsung GS2 ICS Rom available? Do I need to wait for my carrier to release their version? What is the pros/cons to going/not going with the carrier version? I live in the Middle East so we have not received the ICS Rom. Thanks so much

I was wondering if there was an official stock samsung GS2 ICS Rom available?

There's no single "stock" firmware; each geographical region has its own.

Do I need to wait for my carrier to release their version? What is the pros/cons to going/not going with the carrier version?
You don't have to wait but it's advisable. The biggest 'con' of using non-official firmware is that you'll probably get no warranty support should something go wrong with the handset. Another consideration is that the carrier may have optimised the firmware for their own network; a stock firmware will obviously still work but the bespoke version may work better.

One final though.... the longer you wait for the genuine article, the more chance there is that existing bugs will be ironed out. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones