• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Get my photos off my crowded device ONLY

Another year, another Android device, same problem. Just returned from a trip abroad with scores of new pictures. Not to mention the album and book covers, and the potential-avatar photos that were transferred to my Galaxy S5. These are gunking up my device, and keeping me from updating or installing apps. Google Photos is no help and the online advice I've found is useless, probably obsolete. I want to get these photos off my phone while keeping them on Photos (or Drive or Dropbox).

I still have no PC of my own, though I do have a new tablet.

The situation is the same as when my phone was an S4; see here:

https://androidforums.com/threads/cant-free-up-space-with-google-photos.1179872/

Please help.

Reading through your previous posting and this one, a question comes to mind in that how are you determining that your (relatively modest) photo library is taking up so much storage space? This sounds more and more like there's something else besides your photos that you should be focusing on.

Upvote 0
Move your photos to a MSD card and then set your camera app to save to the memory card.
IMG_20180529_184405.jpg

Upvote 0
svim, PitCarver, lunatic, I think I may have something to go on. If I'm still confused I may end up taking my phone to a certain T-Mobile store (one in a hundred) or some other well-attested repair shop in my city.

Or even getting a new up-to-date phone.

ETA: That page doesn't seem to tell much. I'll post whatever I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones