• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get the VZW Extended Battery FREE!

If you wanted a phone to last days at a time on a single charge, you should have gotten a regular phone instead of a smartphone. What the people want is a high performance, slim phone. Thus a small battery. Like a few have said in other threads about battery life: You can't buy a supercar and expect it to get 53 MPG. You wouldn't go back to the dealership to complain and demand free gas, would you?

Amen !!!

Upvote 0
The stock battery issue is not Verizon's fault...the battery was chosen by HTC, the manufacture of the phone. So, to guilt Verizon or threaten them with leaving to just get a better battery is kind of low class. I am just saying, the battery is not Verizon's fault. Now the poor quality of service from the initial sales reps is another story, but it sounds like in most cases Verizon supervisors made a more than reasonable attempt at resolving it.
If someone does not like the stock battery, then they should pay for the extended battery, not scheme to get a new one. When you purchase a phone, you are buying everything that comes in the box...not something extra. That is why extended batteries, cases, etc are called accessories. Just my opinion.
Hope I didn't sound too harsh, because that was not my intention. It just so many bad mouth Verizon as being some big evil corp that people should speak up more in their defense. And, no, I don't work for Verizon...I am just a long time customer.
I agree 100%! I felt the exact same way when reading this thread. I'd feel like a scumbag if I got a new battery for free in this manner.

Check the actual readings, not what's printed on the battery.
Care to share what it says? I don't feel like taking my case and battery cover off just to check...

Really? Care to name those 10 programs? And how much CPU they've used in the last 24 hours?

I thought not.
According to the new included task manager, it shows more apps starting up automatically. I never installed Skype nor have I ever run it and it shows it as loading on startup. The battery manager doesn't show "Skype" as using any battery, but I would imagine that it and the other spam-apps on 2.2 are included in the "Android" usage so people don't get pissed about it.

Upvote 0
With the kind of performance I get out of my phone, I'm willing to deal with the battery life. I have yet to purchase an extended life battery but probably will at some point.

What I find unacceptable is the phone not charging when being used while plugged in. I used to use Pandora and GPS together and have a charged battery at the end of my trip. With froyo my apps suck battery while its supposed to be charging.

Upvote 0
What I find unacceptable is the phone not charging when being used while plugged in. I used to use Pandora and GPS together and have a charged battery at the end of my trip. With froyo my apps suck battery while its supposed to be charging.

This is how I feel, as well. Obviously a phone like the Incredible is going to use up the battery quickly compared to your old school flip phones, and I am ok with that. Having it not gain a charge while plugged in is ridiculous, I don't care what you are running.

Upvote 0
I'll take it a step further. I work at a Porsche dealership. Now once in a while we will have a customer hit the roof, cry and moan, ask for a discount when they find out that that a tire (yes, 1 tire) for their Porsche costs $600+. The answer is no, no discount. That's what it costs, you bought a race car for the street and the tires wear out very quickly (under 10,000 miles). Deal with it!!! It takes some big balls to ask for a discount or something for free when you have enough money to buy a car that is almost worth a house. Bitching and moaning just makes you sound and look like a jerk to anyone involved. The free battery is just a shut up and go away fix for those that have to deal with you. If it makes anyone feel better because they bitched and got a free battery, well whatever. I know how to manage my Incredible and it lasts a whole day.

If you wanted a phone to last days at a time on a single charge, you should have gotten a regular phone instead of a smartphone. What the people want is a high performance, slim phone. Thus a small battery. Like a few have said in other threads about battery life: You can't buy a supercar and expect it to get 53 MPG. You wouldn't go back to the dealership to complain and demand free gas, would you?

Reactions: ORRY?
Upvote 0
I suppose my only point is that I use the GPS a lot...if the salesman at the store would have told me that I would be unable to CHARGE my phone while using the GPS, I wouldn't have bought it. Other than that, I think the battery life isn't bad, and I am happy as hell with the phone overall. I am not going to call Verizon and demand a free battery or threaten to leave, but that is just me. I'll either see if I can get one at a discount (I get 25% off accessories through my work) or grab a 3rd party one off ebay.

Upvote 0
I suppose my only point is that I use the GPS a lot...if the salesman at the store would have told me that I would be unable to CHARGE my phone while using the GPS, I wouldn't have bought it. Other than that, I think the battery life isn't bad, and I am happy as hell with the phone overall. I am not going to call Verizon and demand a free battery or threaten to leave, but that is just me. I'll either see if I can get one at a discount (I get 25% off accessories through my work) or grab a 3rd party one off ebay.

Same here, but that is a completely different issue regarding the Froyo update. Pre-Froyo, using GPS while plugged in actually charged the battery. For me, at least. Post-Froyo, one of the 'features' was that it 'capped' it's charging capability to prevent overheating. I'm still looking for a better car-charging solution.

With that said, I'm happy with my Incredible and, with my 25% corporate discount combined with a 30% promo code, I got the 2150 extended battery from VZW for ~$30 :cool:

Upvote 0
I'll take it a step further. I work at a Porsche dealership. Now once in a while we will have a customer hit the roof, cry and moan, ask for a discount when they find out that that a tire (yes, 1 tire) for their Porsche costs $600+. The answer is no, no discount. That's what it costs, you bought a race car for the street and the tires wear out very quickly (under 10,000 miles). Deal with it!!! It takes some big balls to ask for a discount or something for free when you have enough money to buy a car that is almost worth a house. Bitching and moaning just makes you sound and look like a jerk to anyone involved. The free battery is just a shut up and go away fix for those that have to deal with you. If it makes anyone feel better because they bitched and got a free battery, well whatever. I know how to manage my Incredible and it lasts a whole day.

Thank you for this post, seriously. The topic says it all with what kind of self-respect some users have. I have a 1500mAh TP2 battery and the stock. The stock for me lasts at on average sixteen hours and the 1500mAh lasts twenty-two hours on average. I can stretch the latter to twenty-seven hours. I'm a college student so admittedly I'm not using it as heavily as many heavy-entertainment/media consumers, but seriously? "Threatening" just to get a battery? If you could've afforded this phone (as in, if you weren't going off your parents' money), you could've afforded the extended battery. If you're so revolved around using this phone heavily, bring your charger with you (I never had to do this...).

Upvote 0
My dead Incredible battery cock-blocked me when a girl texted me to meet her outside to grab a cab home with her.....now I carry two batteries like a schmuck. I have to charge the phone multiple times a day every since froyo came out, I was fine before. Using the calculator took the phone from 50% to 30% in 15 minutes. I understand the bitching, but I understand the bitching about the bitching. Just sucks when you want to rely on your phone and you see its essentially worthless in times of need.

Upvote 0
I called CS today and just inquired about exchanging the stock battery for the 2150 extended battery due to the poor battery life. They said they are not doing that since it is a known software problem and "Google" is working on a fix. They said Android is consuming 30 to 40% more battery than it should with the 2.2 update. No ETA for the fix and yes they said Google not HTC.

They did offer to replace my stock battery. I said that would not solve anything so thanks but no thanks.

I guess I didn't get the extended battery since I didn't yell at them or threaten them. I didn't push it any further since I am surviving with the 1500 mah battery.

Upvote 0
You are bothered because we complained about the battery life and are getting a new one?

I guess you could be referring to the people who called in and actually made threats. I would agree that is taking it a bit too far.
I was referring to those that read in this thread that if you just call Verizon and threaten to switch to another carrier in order to get a better battery for free, instead of just buying an extended battery knowing that high performance phones use more juice.
To me, there is a difference in someone scheming or manipulating to just get something for free, than a company providing something for free to compensate for poor customer service. It just tacky. And, I will leave it at that.

Upvote 0
first of all when i buy a sports car i expect the manufacturer to include a big enough gas tank for me to fill not a motorcycle tank. Im not asking verizon to charge my battery im asking them to give me a bigger one.

second of all any parts at a "stealership" are expensive. im sure those $600/tire tires can be found at half the price at other stores. now that the customer you deal with is dumb enough to go to the dealership for tires is another cognitive problem.

im also wondering for those who say that the 1500 battery is enough if you use your "smart phone" the way its supposed to be used. Why buy this phone if you dont use internet, gps, bluetooth? be real and admit that you just text on it and rarely play games and go online. I dont understand why some dont believe people who say their battery doesnt last. We use our phones (i know i do at least) and even the 1500 battery was cutting it close with the new software. notice how i said after the update since i didnt have problems after the mandatory update. thats another thing, i bought this phone with the 2.1 update which battery life was descent, after 2.2 (which was not advertised when i purchased the phone) my battery sucks.

thanks for listening

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones