• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting a new SD card...what do I need to do to use it?

I think this is my last question for right now!

I decided to buy a better SD card than the one that came with this phone. The phone is new and nothing is on the SD card so far. Can I just put the new one in and all will be ok? Or do I have to format it? Please tell me what I need to do and how to do this. I am a newbie to Android and do not want to mess up the phone. Please reply as soon as possible because I am sitting here with the new card and do not want to do anything yet....thanks!

I have a new SD on the way and am also curious about the format question. As for your current one being empty, are you sure? By the time I discovered Astro file manager, there was a bunch of stuff on it. Now that I have a pantload on it, I think I can just copy it (including hidden files) to my PC, then copy it back to the new SD... I think.

Upvote 0
Well I just read the manual that came with the phone and it tells you to first go into the SD card in the settings and press "unmount" and then it will remind you to format it before taking it out to save what you have on there. Then you just put the new card in. No formatting the new card whatsover. The phone recognized the new card immediately and no problems.

Upvote 0
From the book:

Removing the microSD Card [FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]To safely remove the microSD card from your device, first you need to unmount the microSD card. [/FONT][/FONT]1. [FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]Press > > [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=COIDP L+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COIDP L+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]Settings > SD card & phone storage > Unmount SD card[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]. Confirm you can safely remove the microSD card. [/FONT][/FONT]2. [FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]Uncover the microSD slot located on the left side of the phone. [/FONT][/FONT]3. [FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]Gently push the exposed edge of the microSD card in with your fingertip to release it from the slot. [/FONT][/FONT]4. [FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]Carefully pull the microSD card out of the slot. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]Inserting the microSD Card 1. [FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]Gently uncover the microSD slot located on the left side of the device. [/FONT][/FONT]2. [FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ][FONT=COICP O+ Berthold Standard BQ,Standard BQ]Position the microSD card with the label side facing up and slide it into place until it is fully inserted and locked in place.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
On the PC end , have the file manager show hidden files, then make a temp dir. Copy all SD files from the phone to that dir. Unmount the SD card and put in the new one. Copy all the temp dir files to the new card. Turn off the phone, turn it back on. At least that’s what I did and it only lost track of one app, the market took care of that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones