• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting "the" best Android phone

matt542

Mar 5, 2010
I'm hoping to get the HTC Desire in the next week or so ( fingers crossed for Saturday) but with the announcement of the new HTC Evo and the Incredible just around the corner I just get the feeling that I'm going to be missing out and that the Desire will become obsolete in a few months .

It's left me in two minds as to whether I should get an android phone now or wait a little while longer , but then I could be waiting for years for the next best phone to arrive .

Is it just me or does anyone feel similar , worried that their new phone won't be as good as the next model to come along ? Or am I just paranoid !

I'm hoping to get the HTC Desire in the next week or so ( fingers crossed for Saturday) but with the announcement of the new HTC Evo and the Incredible just around the corner I just get the feeling that I'm going to be missing out and that the Desire will become obsolete in a few months .

It's left me in two minds as to whether I should get an android phone now or wait a little while longer , but then I could be waiting for years for the next best phone to arrive .

Is it just me or does anyone feel similar , worried that their new phone won't be as good as the next model to come along ? Or am I just paranoid !

There's no "best" Android phone; rather, it's a matter of what Android phone is best for you. Personally, I'm content with my N1: it's the right size--I'm a little envious of the Evo's screen, but not only is it LCD (ewww, pallid colors!), it's way too big for my hand. I already struggle to use the N1 one-handed, so a 4.3'' screen would be in constant danger of hitting the floor.

The Incredible is a non-factor. Underclocked processor and possibly less RAM? Pass.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter what phone you get, what carrier or what platform. Within 6 months a "better" phone will be out. Just the reality of what we do!
+1

This is why I'm soooo glad I got my Samsung Moment.

As a Sprint Premier customer, I can enjoy it for 12 months, and then upgrade to the Evo or whatever the latest / best Android phone is.

All the while, laughing at other folks who keep waiting to buy because of fear of missing the next best phone. :)

Upvote 0
There are constantly threads like this on every forum site and the answer is always the same. There's always something newer in the pipeline. You have to figure out when you want to jump in. If you wait, that just means that there will be different newer devices on their way.

I just get the feeling that I'm going to be missing out and that the Desire will become obsolete in a few months .
Obsolete is very subjective. If a device suits your needs/wants then it isn't obsolete.

You can't stop newer devices from being released but you can somewhat mitigate upgraditis by not settling for a device that doesn't meet your requirements or isn't top-of-the-line at purchase time. Be realistic and don't expect that it's your last smartphone purchase ever. You'll probably replace it in a year or two anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones