• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root giantpune's custom kernel

Restore your nandroid.

Yaah I had one then I accidentally wiped my sd in recovery cuz I'm dumb but if anyone with a sprint elite could post there nandroid backup id be greatly appreciative because I'm desperate to get wifi back and like I said if ther is any sprint kernel anywhere for this phone id like a link to that

Upvote 0
In terminal, try typing df and tap the [Enter]-key

Okay cool thanks for that, pretty useful command.......oh and pune it would be nice to know how you swapped around empty space on the partitions, if its not to difficult of a procedure to explain:) or ktb if you're familiar with this.

Edit: Sorry about the irrelevance to the thread, just going where the attention was focused, lol, my bad

Upvote 0
Yaah I had one then I accidentally wiped my sd in recovery cuz I'm dumb but if anyone with a sprint elite could post there nandroid backup id be greatly appreciative because I'm desperate to get wifi back and like I said if ther is any sprint kernel anywhere for this phone id like a link to that

Or if I can post my boot.img from the backup I JUST made could anyone fix that

Upvote 0
It looks like differences between the sprint and VM kernels are having to do with the USB and diag stuff. Stuff like the pid, but nothing that looks like it would break wifi. Private Paste - Pastie I think the issue is caused by you using the Virgin Mobile ramdisk (which is also included in the boot image). That ramdisk contains filenames for stuff like the wifi driver. If sprint's driver has a different name, then I can see how it would fail to load.

If nobody comes up with a genuine boot image for you, we can try to cheat by changing the filenames inside the ramdisk.

Upvote 0
I'm here. It's my son's OE and I'm not sure where he has it atm. But I am happy to help. How do you pull a clean boot.img?

GP can tell you better than me, but I think if you just make a nandroid backup, then you can just pull the boot.img straight out of that with an app from the market. Thanks

Backup :
Reboot into recovery
Clear cache
Advanced -> Wipe dalvik
Go Back
Backup and Restore
Backup
Wait
Go Back
Reboot

Upvote 0
Theres an option in the cwm for restore/backup. Click the backup one and watch as the text flies by for the next 5 minutes. When it finishes, it will have created a directory on your microSD card called /clockworkmod/backups/bbblablabla, where the "blablabla" is a date and time (which will probably be incorrect by about 30 years). Inside that directory will be a file called boot.img, and that is the one he needs.

Upvote 0
Theres an option in the cwm for restore/backup. Click the backup one and watch as the text flies by for the next 5 minutes. When it finishes, it will have created a directory on your microSD card called /clockworkmod/backups/bbblablabla, where the "blablabla" is a date and time (which will probably be incorrect by about 30 years). Inside that directory will be a file called boot.img, and that is the one he needs.

Oh I know how to do a nandroid. I just never extracted files from one. How do I do it? What do I use?

Upvote 0
Oh thanks sooo much pandacookie I'm so relieved but if he just gives a boot.img file I'm ganna need instuctions on how to flash/install that or whatever I'm supposed to do with it

Edit: I think I know how to do it I would just swap his boot.img with the one in the folder of my nandroid backup right?????

Is the boot img in a zip or just a raw boot img?

Upvote 0
I'm not 100percent sure on how you would solely flash the boot.img in of itself. I would imagine some kind of command through the terminal like dd if=/sdcard/External_SD/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p? .......but I don't know. You could just have him send the entire nandroid to you and in the recovery there is an option in backup and restore to do an advanced restore and only choose the boot.img. You could just do that, but make sure you put the nandroid in the same folder with the other ones.

Upvote 0
If you go to backup and restore in recovery and select advanced restore and the backup you want to restore from it will let you restore just the boot image

Yeah basically what I just said at the end of my last post, but he's not restoring from his own, he's waiting on panda to send either the boot.img or the complete nandroid to him

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by kwknott
If you go to backup and restore in recovery and select advanced restore and the backup you want to restore from it will let you restore just the boot image

Yeah basically what I just said at the end of my last post, but he's not restoring from his own, he's waiting on panda to send either the boot.img or the complete nandroid to him

My bad!!. I'm bad for skimming thru posts at red lights. Missed that part of your post!

Upvote 0

But that depends on if he wants to send me a full nandroid he probably won't cuz it will have all his data unless he makes one then wipes data then makes another one then sends me the one of his phone with wiped data then hell have to restore his first one but if not ill need to know how to flash a raw boot.img but I'm sure I can find out some how (google is my best friend)

Upvote 0
But that depends on if he wants to send me a full nandroid he probably won't cuz it will have all his data unless he makes one then wipes data then makes another one then sends me the one of his phone with wiped data then hell have to restore his first one but if not ill need to know how to flash a raw boot.img but I'm sure I can find out some how (google is my best friend)

Will someone please post the command line for this kid to write a boot image, I think I was close ,but don't wanna screw his phone up

Upvote 0
This assumes boot image is on internal sd and that boot partition is the same on the Sprint Elite as the vm Elite

In terminal type the following 3 commands...

su

cat /dev/zero > /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
***you will get an error. This is normal***

dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9

I pulled a boot image out of my first backup and flashed it via above commands and it replaced my stock boot image and phone still works

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones