• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread NEWS and SPECULATION: All 2.3 Info Will Be Merged Here

When will Samsung drop Gingerbread on the Galaxy S?

• Beginning of Summer

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Beginning of Fall

Votes: 25 17.2%
  • Will look nice under the Christmas Tree

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • Snowball's chance in hell, ie. never

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • Right after the Flyers win Lord Stanley's Cup

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
Did you guys do a hard reset on the phone after you updated?

I've never been a fan of upgrading OS's in place, always clean installs. That has sort of carried over to mobile devices for me as well. Any significant upgrade gets a hard reset for me. I'll play with my camera some today and see if I have any problems there.

-SF

Upvote 0
I got the update here in Vegas this morning. Apparently arrived overnight since it just prompted me to install it when I got up at 5 am. Ran the install, rebooted, loaded up just perfectly. Took less than 5 minutes for the whole process, most of which was the media scanning that took a couple minutes on it's own.

So far, everything looks good, no issues I've found. Apps all still work (the ones I've tested, which is almost all of them). Email works. Voice mail finally works (mine hasn't worked in months). All in all, smooth process.

There are a few new live wallpapers that are kinda boring unless you're listening to music. Camera works great, but I noticed there is an upgrade for that available. It says there is an additional fee. Anyone know what that's all about?

Upvote 0
I applied the manual update and got stuck in the continuous rebooting as well. It seems the battery was in an overheat situation as my battstat widget was showing 115 degrees. Eventually had to do a hard reboot after the battery cooled and it took. But today my phone froze after receiving a call and I had to pull the battery to get it unfrozen. Then the reboot cycle happened all over again and again and again. Phone is slow to take pictures as well. My phone is not taking this upgrade well.

I'm still in the same boat as you bigantall. My phone is still having reboot issues for no reason. Once it does a reboot it continues to do so for a long time. I try to stop it by unlocking the phone and messing with some apps which once in a while fixes it but lately its gotten worse and I don't know how to stop it. Removed battery, hard reset using the 3 button method and it just keeps recycling. Anyone know how to stop this? This phone is useless now.

Jim

Upvote 0
Anyone know Sprint's policy about exchanges and returns? I'm pretty fed up with this phone. Now with the camera app locking things up, the GPS locking up (and horrible accuracy anyway), I can honestly say I wish I didn't sell off my Samsung Exclaim (messaging phone) so I didn't have to pay the price for this phone. If people are stuck in eternal reboot, then it's nothing more than a piece of plastic.

Upvote 0
Take it to the Sprint store. I'm pretty sure they're required to fix it since it's their fault.

I've now been to two(2) seperate coporate owned Sprint stores and have been told that they will only exchange my phone if their testing reveals an actual hardware problem. They further stated that even if they wipe my phone clean and reinstall everything, if the problems persist, they will not exchange.

I was further told that as long as your phone can make and receive calls as deemed by their hardware testing, even though it may be crashing continuously due software updates, that Sprint has fulfilled its contract by providing service and will not exchange the phone. Wow. My phone got heavily handicapped by the Froyo update and now even worse with this Gingerbread update, and when all is said and done, at the end of my 2 year contract, my phone will have only operated corectly for 4 months, while I was on Eclaire!

Upvote 0
I've now been to two(2) seperate coporate owned Sprint stores and have been told that they will only exchange my phone if their testing reveals an actual hardware problem. They further stated that even if they wipe my phone clean and reinstall everything, if the problems persist, they will not exchange.

I was further told that as long as your phone can make and receive calls as deemed by their hardware testing, even though it may be crashing continuously due software updates, that Sprint has fulfilled its contract by providing service and will not exchange the phone. Wow. My phone got heavily handicapped by the Froyo update and now even worse with this Gingerbread update, and when all is said and done, at the end of my 2 year contract, my phone will have only operated corectly for 4 months, while I was on Eclaire!

Not that I don't believe you, it's a bit unbelievable that they would treat you like that. Have you tried posting this in Sprint community forum? I'm sure an employee their will champion your cause.

Upvote 0
I got the update here in Vegas this morning. Apparently arrived overnight since it just prompted me to install it when I got up at 5 am. Ran the install, rebooted, loaded up just perfectly. Took less than 5 minutes for the whole process, most of which was the media scanning that took a couple minutes on it's own.

So far, everything looks good, no issues I've found. Apps all still work (the ones I've tested, which is almost all of them). Email works. Voice mail finally works (mine hasn't worked in months). All in all, smooth process.

There are a few new live wallpapers that are kinda boring unless you're listening to music. Camera works great, but I noticed there is an upgrade for that available. It says there is an additional fee. Anyone know what that's all about?

What issues were you having with voice mail? My visual voice mail and notification haven't been working right for months. I need to dial 1 on my key pad, in order to retrieve my voice mails. Problem is, I never really know when I may have a voice mail, so I need to check it often.

Upvote 0
What issues were you having with voice mail? My visual voice mail and notification haven't been working right for months. I need to dial 1 on my key pad, in order to retrieve my voice mails. Problem is, I never really know when I may have a voice mail, so I need to check it often.

I can't speak for TheAlien but for me the messages wouldn't play half the time unless I rebooted.

Upvote 0
If you are rooted, you can't upgrade via OTA or the manual update. I was rooted with Froyo. I had to ODIN back to stock (EC05), then I manually upgraded to Gingerbread. Of course now I am not rooted.

do you have the link to the ODIN file. trying to find a place to download ODIN but cant seem to find it

Edit: nevermind, finally found the file. currently returning back to stock trough ODIN then gonna do the Manual update.

Edited again a few min later, after failing to do the manual update.. i just went to settings and about phone and update system and it downloaded it that way. so now im finally on the new 2.3.

Upvote 0
I am happy to say that after I hesitantly did a factory reset on my phone because of the constant reboot issue my phone is working great now. It's like I have a brand new phone and I'm loving it now. It boots much faster, runs faster and smoother and has been very stable for the last few days since I reset it. Fortunately I had everything backed up to my SD card so putting it all back together wasn't that bad. I even tried out SPB Shell 3D which crashed every few minutes on Froyo, at least on my phone but now it has been running flawlessly for almost 48 hours. Finally since Aug 2011 I have a nice stable working phone. So far I haven't found anything to complain about except one minor issue. There seems to be something causing memory to get stuck in cache that builds up every 3-5 hours or so. Anywhere from 2-10megs but for now I just use an app to clear the cache. If that's the only problem I'm going to have I can live with that. I would say that my phone now is about 99% stable and I'm loving it now. Thank goodness for the GB update. I was at the point of throwing my phone against the wall and leaving Sprint. Now, I'm treating my phone like it was my own kid and I'll stick with Sprint unless they start screwing things up more than they already have.

Jim

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind a true Google "vanilla" phone. I was wondering though, it says it has the Super AMOLED screen, but is it the plus or just the regular one. From what I've been reading the "plus" version is the better of the two. I don't think it has the Gorilla glass on it though and that makes a big difference to me. But, I would definitely like to have one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones