1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gingerbread Update Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Typhoonturki, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

Here's my question. I just got my EVO 4G, i rooted it, installed the sprint lovers all in one rom and everything is working just fine. Howver when I go into look if there are software update I see that there is one for 2.3. it System Upgrade 4.53.651.1.

I download this and go to upgrade and I get the Triangle with an exclamation point when it goes to install the update. Now I am a noob to rooting and roms. Is there a need to update this software after I have rooted and flashed a rom? If so do I need to go back to my stock set up and upgrade, or is there another reason its not installing the system upgrade. Help please! :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

Here's my question. I just got my EVO 4G, i rooted it, installed the sprint lovers all in one rom and everything is working just fine. Howver when I go into look if there are software update I see that there is one for 2.3. it System Upgrade 4.53.651.1.

I download this and go to upgrade and I get the Triangle with an exclamation point when it goes to install the update. Now I am a noob to rooting and roms. Is there a need to update this software after I have rooted and flashed a rom? If so do I need to go back to my stock set up and upgrade, or is there another reason its not installing the system upgrade. Help please! :)

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

NEVER ACCEPT OTA UPDATES WHILE ROOTED!

Sorry for the caps, but it IS that important. Accepting an OTA could unroot you and prevent you from being able to root again untill somebody finds out a new hack (which could take months). In order to "upgrade" now.... all you do is flash a ROM with that update already pre-packaged. Most ROMS that are still being actively updated will update their ROM as soon as the update comes out.

ocnbrze and argedion like this.
  4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

DO NOT ACCEPT AN OTA ON A ROOTED PHONE. if you need an update then download a ROM that contains the update you need.

5. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

Wow ok, thank you.. glad I didnt try to figure it out.. I dont think it ever installed it just gave me that error screen. I will not do that again lol.. Thanks a lot :)

ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Great advice from everyone.now that you are rooted always follow that advice. no mater what phone you are on, it will apply. Also I would flash mikg 2.61. it is updated to the current software version plus it has sense 2.1 and sense 3.0. It is super fast and stable. I'm on my phone right now so can't post a link.

7. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

What kernel would you recommend to pair with mikg 2.61? Looking moslty for better bettery life.. I have heard a lot about tiamat..

8. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Tiamat is for AOSP. MikG is sense based.

And if I were you I would go ahead and go with the new MikG 3.0.

For a kernel try lithids Aggressive freedom UNIVERSAL

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

ok thank you, I am flashing Mik 3.0 now, will try that kernel as well :)

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews