• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingervillian or Leedroid?

chitchatjjj

Feb 7, 2011
I just got my Desire two days back. I thought I'd wait some time before rooting. But I ran out of internal memory pretty fast. So I've decided to root now and after taking a look at a few roms I see that gingervillain is one of the most popular. But leedroid has sense. So which one of these roms is the best, the most stable and easy to use? Also, does both of them have app2sd+ support?

Yes both have app2sd+ support....

Bottomline for both ROM - If you need HTC sense go for Leedroid and if you can live without HTC sense go for gingervillian. And I think Leedroid will soon come out with its 2.3 version if you want both Sense and 2.3.

Best will be try both for couple of days and choose.

Upvote 0
GV is 2.3 plus various extras from the Cyanogen team (which is where it differs from Oxygen, for example).

If you are used to Sense (and it hasn't started to annoy you yet) then the advice to try for a few days is good. LeeDroid will be very familiar to you, but it may take a little while to get used to a non-Sense ROM, and the first impression isn't necessarily the final one.

Upvote 0
GV is 2.3 plus various extras from the Cyanogen team (which is where it differs from Oxygen, for example).
Actually, GV is Android v2.3.3. :)

Another difference with Oxygen is that GV gets more frequent updates (almost weekly). Oxygen was not updated since February (as far as I know).
Also, they have a different implementations of A2SD+ (DT+ext for GV versus AlphaRev Oxygen HBOOT for Oxygen).

Upvote 0
haha

Again:

What A2SD does this support? Oxygen 2.0 supports "froyo style" apps2sd, it also supports A2SD with an EXT3 or EXT4 partition. By default the dalvik cache is not moved to SD for performance reasons - see here for dalvik2sd script. D2SD/D2W scripts will work - but please take this up in their respective threads if you have questions to ask.

Also, Hboot is nothing to do with a2sd+ so rather than a different implementation of a2sd+, that would a different means to deal with space issues.

Not to be pedantic or anything.

Upvote 0
Oxygen got a small update so it's up to 2.0.3 but I ditched Oxygen quite a while ago because it lost the settings and trackball wake functions which I find useful, OpenDesire (AdamG's previous project) was alright but again it was slow with updates. Most Gingerbread roms I found has all sorts of different issues for different users, I end up using Froyo roms more often for stability then I can use my phone during the day without running into some weird issue. I was a huge supporter of CyanogenMod with their CM6-nightlies and CM6 releases and rarely had problems with them but I stopped using CM7 due to issues, I found GingerVillain to be much stabler than CM7 is right now.

Upvote 0
haha

Again:

What A2SD does this support? Oxygen 2.0 supports "froyo style" apps2sd, it also supports A2SD with an EXT3 or EXT4 partition. By default the dalvik cache is not moved to SD for performance reasons - see here for dalvik2sd script. D2SD/D2W scripts will work - but please take this up in their respective threads if you have questions to ask.

Also, Hboot is nothing to do with a2sd+ so rather than a different implementation of a2sd+, that would a different means to deal with space issues.

Not to be pedantic or anything.
I've seen that, but that was the "old" method (still usable if you want it).

Here is the new method:
Quote from AdamG concerning Oxygen and OxygenN HBOOT
"AdamG: I would like to recommend that people who intend to use Oxygen as their main ROM use the AlphaRev Oxygen HBOOT, this is a customized HBOOT specifically for Oxygen and features a massive /data partition, allowing you to install even more apps than previously possible."

And then this:
With the new OxygeN HBOOT their is no longer a need for ext3 (in fact its slower), So to remove it you will need to download something like GParted to manage the partition tables on your sdcard.
Delete the ext3 partition and completely reformat the card to fat32
Then install the new Oxygen HBOOT,

Source: FAQ - Oxygen - Custom ROM's Wiki

Edit: I apologize for wrong formulation of words. It is not about A2SD+ implementation, but about gaining extra space by using different methods. And these recommended methods are different between GV and Oxygen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones