• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail App issues

BoogieNYC

Apr 22, 2010
NYC
I started a thread that wound up in the Droid X Troubleshooting forum, but I think this is an Android problem, not a Droid X problem... I'm having read receipt issues with the stock Gmail app (it won't let me send them and it auto-sends them to people who request them of me, without giving me the option of sending or declining).

In addition, I'm pretty disappointed with the Gmail app, especially when compared to the Blackberry's handling of Gmail. Blackberry's only gmail issue is when you send an email to someone through gmail you get a copy regardless of whether you want one or not.

I'm really concerned about this and would love to find an alternative -- K9 doesn't appear to be compatible with GMail so even if I wanted to I couldn't use that. Anyone have any suggestions? The web interface, incidentally, doesn't feature read receipts -- already considered logging in to send important emails that way.

I'm guessing if there's no alternative then the only alternative is to return to my Blackberry for the time being :-/

I use K9 for gmail. I don't use read receipts, so I don't know if K9 handles them the way you wish, but it definitely works for gmail.

jd

That's awesome -- according to the developer it's incompatible with Gmail. I tried setting it up for my Google Apps hosted domain and it tanked. I'll keep at it and/or email the developer. Even without the read receipts, knowing K9's an option makes me feel a lot better. I can't go from the Blackberry client to the Gmail app -- no "marked all as read" and you have to read one message -- back to the list -- read another message -- back to the list.

Terrible. I figured scoring an Android with my business account hosted by Google would be a no-brainer. In actuality it leaves me at somewhat of a disadvantage.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be firing up K9 and seeing what it can do.

-B-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones