• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gmail conversation view

I'm hoping someone has figured out how to turn off gmail's conversation view on Android. I just switched to Android, on a Nexus 4, and I have tried so much over the past 3 days. Hours. I keep reading about solutions, but they are out of date.

Android's native Mail reported doesn't support conversation view. But, it also doesn't seem to connect to gmail. I get a network connection problem. I was on the phone with Google support for an hour yesterday, and the support person was able to replicate the same problem, no solution.

K-9 reported doesn't support conversation view. But I tried it and it does. (And I cannot get the outgoing server to connect; same problem as the Mail app above.)

Boomerang reported doesn't support conversation view. But it does.

Gmail in Chrome supports it in the mobile version. No way to disable. You can switch to the full site, but then the font is too tiny to read/use.

I currently have everything in Gmail, so abandoning Gmail is not a solution. I am new to Android, so it would be far easier to abandon Android. Conversation view simply does not work for me. I want/need each message to be its own message and not grouped with like-subject messages. Email is the most important smartphone use, and conversation view is a deal killer. I am desperate.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones