• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail Filters for Droid Razr

pmokover

Sep 8, 2011
I access email from a couple of Gmail accounts from both my Droid Razr and from Outlook on my PC.

Is there any way I can set a Gmail account to not send certain messages to the phone but continue to make them available to Outlook? This would be based on either the From address of the Subject.

Thanks

Peter

You just set up a new master gmail address and make it the only one set up on your phone. Then use forwarding with filters to only forward certain email from the other gmail accounts to your master address on the phone.

Good idea! Is there a way to do that so that when a message is forwarded to the phone I can tell on the phone which email address it originally came in to?

Thanks.
Peter

Upvote 0
Yes, and you can reply so your reply shows up as sent from the original address that it was sent to

I understand how I could do that if I were replying from the "master" Gmail account but I don't see how that would be possible from the phone. If the phone only knows about the master account how would it know which address a message came in on originally and how would it know to sent a reply from that address?

Thanks.
Peter

Upvote 0
I understand how I could do that if I were replying from the "master" Gmail account but I don't see how that would be possible from the phone. If the phone only knows about the master account how would it know which address a message came in on originally and how would it know to sent a reply from that address?

Thanks.
Peter

I think you should just take 10 minutes to set an account up and try. I'm not just guessing about this...It's how I manage my non-work email.

I just went to my company enterprise Email (call it "work email") and sent an Email to one of the Gmail accounts that IS NOT set up on my phone (call it Gmail #1). Gmail account #1 is set up to forward certain Emails to the Gmail account that IS set up on my phone (call the account on my phone Gmail #2).

When I open the Email on my phone using Gmail #2, right under the senders address it shows which gmail account it was originally sent to (#1). If I hit "reply", it will send an Email back to my "work email" that will look as if it was sent from Gmail #1. Gmail #2 (on your phone) can be one that you never even give out the address for or it can be an account where you want everything that comes in to it to go through unfiltered.

i am not sure it would be as seamless if a non-Gmail account was doing the forwarding.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones