• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail groups in contacts are not syncing to Droid X

verilp

Lurker
Aug 5, 2010
My Google contacts sync up with the Droid X just fine, except that the groups on Google don't show up on the Droid. Also, groups on the Droid don't show up on Google.

Also, Google tasks are not downloading to the Droid.

Anyone else having these issues? Any solutions?

I read another thread that gave me this idea:

Create a contact (not a group) and give it a name for the group you want it to represent. In the email field, add all your contacts separated by a comma with no space and save the contact.

For example, I created a contact to be used as a group for my kid's baseball team, "TIGERS-2011" and added all the parents emails with comma separation.

Now, when I use the stock android client to send emails, I just email TIGERS-2011 and it gets to all the contacts that were entered in the email field when I created the TIGERS-2011 contact.

It's not exactly the greatest way to do it, but it works without another app download.

Upvote 0
I read another thread that gave me this idea:

Create a contact (not a group) and give it a name for the group you want it to represent. In the email field, add all your contacts separated by a comma with no space and save the contact.

For example, I created a contact to be used as a group for my kid's baseball team, "TIGERS-2011" and added all the parents emails with comma separation.

Now, when I use the stock android client to send emails, I just email TIGERS-2011 and it gets to all the contacts that were entered in the email field when I created the TIGERS-2011 contact.

It's not exactly the greatest way to do it, but it works without another app download.

I have the same issue...is there a limit on the field length? I hope this works for me.

I used to create each kid as their own contact that way in the event of an emergency...I look up the kid, not have to remember who his 2-3-4 parents are (divorces etc)...now even doing that it makes it impossible since you can only select one default email per contact. Even tried grouping groups - so create each parent as a separate contact, then group them under the kid's name, then group all of the kid groups under the team name...no luck. I hate the new contact manager in GMAIL and the Android contact manager on my DX...absolutely a step backwards.

How can you allow a person to have multiple email addresses but then not have any mechanism in place to send a single email to all of that person's email addresses you have stored for them???? They really dropped the ball on this one.

Upvote 0
People have been complaining about this bug for over a year on this forum. I can't believe the Droid programmers haven't addressed this yet! I also found that when I transferred old contacts to the Droid X, all of the ones that were listed under a business name rather than an individual's name lumped themselves into an "unknown" contact, creating a giant mess. :mad: I'm trying to undo this by hand - what a pain!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones