1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Gmail Notification

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dabitz, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Dabitz

Dabitz Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Accounting Supervisor
    NJ
    When you get a new email, is there a way to show on the notification bar that you have a "New Email" WITHOUT showing a preview of it? The reason I ask is because I use App Protector to make my email private but it still shows a brief preview when a new email arrives. I still want to be notified when there is a new email and have the blinking notification light. I thought about asking here before emailing the developer for that particular app.

Advertisement

2. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Aircraft Engineer
    Memphis, TN
    great question I would like to know too. Text messages not previewing would be nice too.

3. Tumeg

Tumeg Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    If you're using Handcent, this is possible. Settings > Notifications > Notification Settings > Privacy Mode
    I'm not sure about the stock messaging app, or any other SMS app [though I would assume they could do the same thing]

As for gmail, I haven't really thought about it and haven't looked for a way to do it.

4. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    Get GMAIL Notifier from the Market. I think that supplants the email preview in the status bar. I have multiple gmail accounts and I don't see previews anymore after installing Gmail Notifier. Could be because I have multiple accounts or it could be the app removes the preview. I don't know which it is. It's free so try it and see if it does what you need.

Napalm likes this.
  5. Dabitz

Dabitz Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Accounting Supervisor
    NJ
    Gmail notification does the trick, you have to uncheck the option to show sender and subject in notification bar. I also use Handcent so I was able to fix that. Now the only issue is with GV, but I don't get much text messages through that since people keep sending it to my verizon number :mad:

Thanks a lot...

6. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    just tell your gf to stop texting/emailing you when you're with your other gf/wife/so

lulz

7. Dabitz

Dabitz Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Accounting Supervisor
    NJ
    Oh the humanity.... :D

8. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Aircraft Engineer
    Memphis, TN
    Great, downloading gmail notifier now.

9. BookLover

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    You're welcome. Glad I could help.

10. BookLover

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    It takes a little discipline, BUT what I do is if someone texts my mobile number, I answer them with my GV number. Then the conversation automatically stays in GV because the other party usually doesn't switch back.

Then i usually keep at least one msg from that person active in GV so that I can easily find their thread and just reply to their new msg, using the old thread.