• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail Notification

Dabitz

Android Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010
NJ
When you get a new email, is there a way to show on the notification bar that you have a "New Email" WITHOUT showing a preview of it? The reason I ask is because I use App Protector to make my email private but it still shows a brief preview when a new email arrives. I still want to be notified when there is a new email and have the blinking notification light. I thought about asking here before emailing the developer for that particular app.

great question I would like to know too. Text messages not previewing would be nice too.

If you're using Handcent, this is possible. Settings > Notifications > Notification Settings > Privacy Mode
I'm not sure about the stock messaging app, or any other SMS app [though I would assume they could do the same thing]

As for gmail, I haven't really thought about it and haven't looked for a way to do it.

Upvote 0
Get GMAIL Notifier from the Market. I think that supplants the email preview in the status bar. I have multiple gmail accounts and I don't see previews anymore after installing Gmail Notifier. Could be because I have multiple accounts or it could be the app removes the preview. I don't know which it is. It's free so try it and see if it does what you need.

Reactions: Napalm
Upvote 0
Gmail notification does the trick, you have to uncheck the option to show sender and subject in notification bar. I also use Handcent so I was able to fix that. Now the only issue is with GV, but I don't get much text messages through that since people keep sending it to my verizon number :mad:

Thanks a lot...

Upvote 0
Gmail notification does the trick, you have to uncheck the option to show sender and subject in notification bar. I also use Handcent so I was able to fix that. Now the only issue is with GV, but I don't get much text messages through that since people keep sending it to my verizon number :mad:

Thanks a lot...

It takes a little discipline, BUT what I do is if someone texts my mobile number, I answer them with my GV number. Then the conversation automatically stays in GV because the other party usually doesn't switch back.

Then i usually keep at least one msg from that person active in GV so that I can easily find their thread and just reply to their new msg, using the old thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones