• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

barry baker

Nov 3, 2008
My Daughter lost her phone last week, someone handed it to the police station, who simple when to phone book and selected home then called home to let us know they had it.

Then i started thinking what would happen if that happened to my G1 ???

Wouldnt it be a good idea to have a contact in case of found number on the lock screen ?? Just a thought, is there anyway of doig it ?

Upvote 0
Download the app Pintail from the market and set a pin on your phone via the application. Then if you lose it you can text Locate then your pin # and it will send a text message back with the location of your phone. I have used it many time and it is very accurate. My wife lost her G1 3 days ago and I sent a text to it and we foun it in about 20 minutes (2 minutes for location to be sent back to me and 15 minutes or so to drive to the restaurant she left it at). So try it out, it may come in handy just in case you lose your phone.

Upvote 0
lost my phone about 2 weeks back :( (someone took it out my pocket), not buying a new one right now - waiting for the G1.. and considering my past record (lost 7 phones in the past 5 years) would love to have a tracker device in the G1, but the issue here is the black market (read tech. nerds working for some extra money), they'll have it as good as new in 10 minutes with all old programs gone and new software in there.... IMEI number tracking is also not possible considering the number of phones stolen everyday...

We did happen to get some phones that claimed they were theft proof, as soon as the person changed the sim the phone would send a message to a known number (which after some work by the techies could be changed), and they did pretty well.... until people recognized those particular models and did the necessary.... you'll have to give it to them, they're smart

Is there any other way in which the phone could be tracked.... i'd say a PC (users) and phone link that could always tell you the number (of the new sim) is currently being used in the phone - based on the IMEI number (which i suppose can never be changed)...

just thinking aloud, any possibilities??

Cheers
Sid

Upvote 0
While I think that a tracker would be a great idea, the GPS seems to be somewhat broken right now ("My Location" in Maps with GPS on points 3-5 streets away). There is a possible alternative, however.

There are two applications out right now (Android Found and Owner). They are supposed to give information to anyone who has found your phone. I personally downloaded Android Found. The problem is that they don't show up on the lock screen [yet], but they probably/hopefully will soon. With Android Found, you can also type in a message. In the message, explain to them that if the G1 is reported stolen, the device will be locked because of the IMEI number, so there is no point in stealing it. Maybe offer some money for a return as well?

Just a thought...

Upvote 0
This is from the web page I posted above. Dan Shipper @ Convenience Software replied to an email I sent him about porting this product to Android and he said it would be available in a few months. Search this forum for more info. Also http://www.conveniencesoftware.com or send Dan Shipper an email at admin@conveniencesoftware.com

Imagine you loose your phone, look it up on the web, send it a text to either lock or erase all data. Set a message on the locked screen saying "I have your location and the police have been called." or whatever you want, have your phone call you so you can hear the person who has it and whats going on around it. have it send you a text with the exact coordinates where it is, when you get there make it ring so you can find it. Worst case scenario you remote wipe the phone so your data is erased and you go get another phone.

Note: currently this is a BB program

BlackBerry Controller
Another feature of the web-interface is the ability to remotely control your BlackBerry. You can make it ring (even if it''s on silent), activate an alarm, make it call you, and make it display a custom message

SIM Number
GetItBack''s Web Interface will also tell you your phone''s SIM number, so if the thief replaces your SIM card, you can easily track and retrieve your phone.

GPS Location
GetItBack''s Web Interface will even show you your phone''s GPS coordinates (if they are available on your device), and you will be able to see your phone''s location overlayed on Yahoo! Maps.

Upvote 0
While I think that a tracker would be a great idea, the GPS seems to be somewhat broken right now ("My Location" in Maps with GPS on points 3-5 streets away).

Are you sure you have GPS on? If you don't, you'll get that kind of inaccuracy, but with GPS on, it should pinpoint you within a few minutes. Happens faster outdoors and on foot, speed and ceilings seem to slow it down.

If you wait a minute or two, the halo around the point will tighten as it locks onto you. If that's not happening and you're sure you have GPS on, then there's something wrong with the unit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones