1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Google Apps account, or GMail account?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KlaymenDK, Jul 30, 2009.

1. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    Hey all.
    I know that a Google account is required for Android -- but does it have to be a Google GMail account, or will a Google Apps account do just as well? :thinking:

My family uses Google Apps to provide GMail (etc.) at our own domain, so my email address is me@myfamily.tld and not me@gmail.com -- I'm hoping I will be able to use this to log into Android!

Edit: Yes you can. However a few apps (e.g. Google My Maps) insist on a true Google account, and will appear unconnected to your Google Apps account.

Advertisement

gameration likes this.
  2. Raphaels

Raphaels Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Hi,

I got my HTC Hero today and is the same situation as you. I have a Google Apps address with my family name. I've used this during the setup and now I have access to email, calendar and address book! :D

It is working great. I only wish you could have 2 Google Apps account... but the second one (work) I will use the browser (it is working well...).

Raphael

3. hawleyjr

hawleyjr New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new topic. I have a very similar question and I'm not sure if the original posters question was answered.

Is anyone else having issues logging into the market using a non-gmail google account? I use a non-gmail account to login to Google via a computer which works fine but doesn't work on the Droid.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. MountainX

MountainX Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Similar issue, but I cannot even set up my Droid using my Google Apps (GAFYD) account.

This is a new Motorola Droid on VZW running Android 2.0. The setup process fails with my Google account. The error message is "username and password do not match". However, I can go to google.com and log in successfully with the username and password.

The only way to set up my Droid is to create a new google account. But I am not about to abandon my email, Google Voice, maps and other existing information in my current google account.

How can I get Android 2.0 to work with my google account? Thanks