• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Checkout security

Am really shocked, neigh my Gast is well and truly flabbered that I can buy things from Market via google checkout without passwords / pins etc!

Thats really inconvenient if i lose my phone! Plus some joker would love to have a laugh ordering all sorts from the market if i leave my phone unattended.

I can delete the card details from Google Checkout for security but this is a real PIA!

Unless i've missed an option somewhere . . .

Am really shocked, neigh my Gast is well and truly flabbered that I can buy things from Market via google checkout without passwords / pins etc!

Thats really inconvenient if i lose my phone! Plus some joker would love to have a laugh ordering all sorts from the market if i leave my phone unattended.

I can delete the card details from Google Checkout for security but this is a real PIA!

Unless i've missed an option somewhere . . .

If you have, I've missed it too.

The ability to purchase applications without at least a minimal verification after the first time is simply insane. Google really needs to stop acting as if their products are only used by geeks in a sterile lab environment, and start focusing on what happens to real people in the real world.

Upvote 0
Some sort of verification would certainly be nice. My 4yr old son was playing the free version of Paper Plane the other day. Don't know what he did but he gave me the phone back saying that it had 'gone funny'.

Checked it, and somehow he'd managed to order the full version and it was being downloaded!!! Was able to refund, but certainly made me realise how easy it was.

Upvote 0
not to mention somebody stealing your phone. i realized it is pretty easy to see the oil marks from your fingers on the touch screens. You can pretty easily discern the the swipe pattern lock and I'm sure if the right technique was employed, the pin number could be ascertained. Depending solely on the screen lock for security is ridiculous.

i haven't bought any apps until they put a password confirmation or until i find a way to buy apps from my desktop that won't link my cc# to my phone.

until then i wipe my screen as often as i can.

Upvote 0
Put a complicated pattern lock on your phone, e.g., move over the same two dots at least twice.

There are several app locks in the market to lock apps you desire.

The Google checkout is tied to the master account you put on the phone.

Don't let kids play with your phone. They have their Nintendos and Ipods, why do you need to give them your phone to play with? The phone is not a toy. You're paying a lot of money to the service provider. Treat it with the respect it deserves. Don't let your kids touch it!

Upvote 0
If you get the premium version of lookout mobile security you can remotely lock down your phone (via your computers web browser) and even wipe the data on top of being able to make the phone scream and track it via gps.

I tried Lookout and liked it but uninstalled because it absolutely killed my battery life...any alternatives out there?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones