• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google: Does anybody use the damn thing?

Swizz

Android Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2008
Portland, OR
Lately it seems like AF is cycling through the same damn topics over and over. I seem to constantly get deja vu when I decide to visit.

"What is root" (seriously?)
"What are the 'benefits' of root"
"What is Market enabler?"
"Why isnt the Galaxy in the US?"
"How do I set a ringtone?"
"Can I use the Hero in the U.S.?"
etc
etc
bloody etc

Really? It would be quicker to realize a little initiative and do a Google search, but people think they are so special and are the only person to ever have encountered their "life halting issue"; and have no other choice but to register a user name and post the same garbage over and over.

I have been using this forum for a few months now. Still at times its hard to find "DETAILED" answers to some questions. I do search this site and google. It can be hard for some one that's new to this type of phone to find the info "they" want.

Instead of complaining about it, why don't you help out and teach others what you know. That way you can be produtive.

Upvote 0
Lately it seems like AF is cycling through the same damn topics over and over. I seem to constantly get deja vu when I decide to visit.

"What is root" (seriously?)
"What are the 'benefits' of root"
"What is Market enabler?"
"Why isnt the Galaxy in the US?"
"How do I set a ringtone?"
"Can I use the Hero in the U.S.?"
etc
etc
bloody etc

Really? It would be quicker to realize a little initiative and do a Google search, but people think they are so special and are the only person to ever have encountered their "life halting issue"; and have no other choice but to register a user name and post the same garbage over and over.

Lol....just....lol...

I have been using this forum for a few months now. Still at times its hard to find "DETAILED" answers to some questions. I do search this site and google. It can be hard for some one that's new to this type of phone to find the info "they" want.

Instead of complaining about it, why don't you help out and teach others what you know. That way you can be produtive.

To be honest....answering the same question over and over again...isn't productive....at all...

What questions do you have that you have yet to find a "DETAILED" answer?

Upvote 0
Why not have an FAQ sticky thread? You can then refer noobs to it.

There is a pretty good search engine for the site and TAG searchs can yield wonders... I think many people dont search or dont know how to search... or just to lazy to try....

If I can search the site and find an answer or info then anyone can ... and should ... I know it can be a lot of reading to go through long threads .. but that is what it takes sometimes ....

I read thru 1600+ post in a thread on another forum and did not find my exact Question/Answer but gained enough insight to know that snap answers are NOT always possible and usually not what you need....

Upvote 0
It took me 2 weeks of searching to find all the info I needed to root my G1. I went through every thread I could find. Followed every link. Downloaded everything I was told to download.

After doing all that I still couldn't get to root. I even got stuck in boot loop a few times. Finally I got root with the help of a couple people that didn't mind answering the same questions over and over again.

This forum is supposed to be where people come to seek help and learn from others. That's what this is all about. If you just tell people to search for their answers you are not really helping them or the next person.

I think a step by step "sticky" thread would have been very helpfull to me. So much of the info is scattered in to many places. Heck, I am not even sure how I got root and couldn't even begin to help someone else. I am still trying to figure out what else I can do besides apps to sd and flashing new roms via the JF updater.

On the otherside of the coin, I have explained how GPSs work many times. I don't mind doing it. As long as 1 more person can gain something from what I know, its all good. I am always willing to share what little knowledge I do have.

Its something we all should do.

Upvote 0
There is a pretty good search engine for the site and TAG searchs can yield wonders... I think many people dont search or dont know how to search... or just to lazy to try....
I have to agree. More often than not I spent 0.08 seconds using the search box and posting a link to the old thread in the new thread. At least that funnels it back to one of the previous answers.

There's a philosophy on this forum where they would prefer to clog their database with 65 threads asking the same question over and over again. They seem to be of the belief that it's better for the answer "to be everywhere" so it's easy to find!

Thing is though, as kabbie_mcfeely's post shows --- the answer ISN'T everywhere -- the question, however, is everywhere -- and not getting answered very well at all. I think perhaps the reason why it's not getting answered is (in part) because the long timers get tired of answering it, especially when the answer isn't a simple one.

I know a lot about android and the G1, but I don't remember every single detail, so trying to remember the really good answer I read 3 weeks ago...eh, what's the point? We're not allowed to encourage people to use the search box -- I've seen the mods go apesh!t when someone dares suggest such a thing---I'm amazed this thread hasn't been scrubbed yet! So I don't answer questions anymore unless I can find one of the older threads to link to. I'll play by the rules, but that means I'm helping people less because I don't feel like doing the work (using the search box for more than 2 seconds) that the person asking the question could easily do themselves.

Upvote 0
It took me 2 weeks of searching to find all the info I needed to root my G1. I went through every thread I could find. Followed every link. Downloaded everything I was told to download.

After doing all that I still couldn't get to root. I even got stuck in boot loop a few times. Finally I got root with the help of a couple people that didn't mind answering the same questions over and over again.

This forum is supposed to be where people come to seek help and learn from others. That's what this is all about. If you just tell people to search for their answers you are not really helping them or the next person.

I think a step by step "sticky" thread would have been very helpfull to me. So much of the info is scattered in to many places. Heck, I am not even sure how I got root and couldn't even begin to help someone else. I am still trying to figure out what else I can do besides apps to sd and flashing new roms via the JF updater.

On the otherside of the coin, I have explained how GPSs work many times. I don't mind doing it. As long as 1 more person can gain something from what I know, its all good. I am always willing to share what little knowledge I do have.

Its something we all should do.

Really weeks? there are 3 really good guides and several videos on this site alone on how to root and one of which is in JustJimJpcs signature... and a few of us mods here run a wiki ( Get Your Droid On... ) with condensed info and sources of all of that info which is in my signature and all over this site as well? As much as I want to help it is tiresome repeating the same info in 20 pages of threads... literally 20 pages of threads ( Android Forums - Search Results ) that is the search from this forum with all 20 pages of threads on info regarding rooting... So while we are here to help and continue to help, i understand Swizzs frustration..... And yes, the point of the forum is to help and will always be to help which is why repetative questions do get answers and people still get help... as for the step by step sticky thread on rooting there are 2 of those on this site... the one in JustJimJpcs signature and this one http://androidforums.com/developer-101/3252-rooting-quick-guide-updated-3-10-09-a.html ... Forgive me if my response seems a bit harsh but things are what they are...

Upvote 0
I have to agree. More often than not I spent 0.08 seconds using the search box and posting a link to the old thread in the new thread. At least that funnels it back to one of the previous answers.

There's a philosophy on this forum where they would prefer to clog their database with 65 threads asking the same question over and over again. They seem to be of the belief that it's better for the answer "to be everywhere" so it's easy to find!

Thing is though, as kabbie_mcfeely's post shows --- the answer ISN'T everywhere -- the question, however, is everywhere -- and not getting answered very well at all. I think perhaps the reason why it's not getting answered is (in part) because the long timers get tired of answering it, especially when the answer isn't a simple one.

I know a lot about android and the G1, but I don't remember every single detail, so trying to remember the really good answer I read 3 weeks ago...eh, what's the point? We're not allowed to encourage people to use the search box -- I've seen the mods go apesh!t when someone dares suggest such a thing---I'm amazed this thread hasn't been scrubbed yet! So I don't answer questions anymore unless I can find one of the older threads to link to. I'll play by the rules, but that means I'm helping people less because I don't feel like doing the work (using the search box for more than 2 seconds) that the person asking the question could easily do themselves.

I have always enjoyed your knowledgeable posts... and I as a MOD will encourage you to ask people to search ... I do it at times myself. I try to give links at times from threads and I promote and use TAG Search all the time ...

I even regularly add tags to threads to help improve the Searches and encourage others to Add tag links to threads that they think will benefit others in their searches...

I would hate to think we have lost you expertise and will encourage Site Mods, Admin and owners to not BLANKET discourage people from occasionally and with respect to suggest the search for a certain term ..or telling them where is the best place to search ....

Google search can be very Broad brush as it relates to the whole web ... (but i have used it as well)

But a Google search of just this site can be awesum ... at times more productive than the sites built in search engine ...

So please stay with us man ... you contributions are appreciated and valued (by me at least) .... and if you feel that a search suggestion is appropriate ... I for one will back your judgement and decision ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones