• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google is launching a new tool on Monday that lets anyone create an app for Android phones.

This is awesome news!

I'm actually waiting for a programming book for Android to come in from Amazon today, so I'm excited to get started!

As for the useless apps flooding the market... you have to pay $25 to be able to post your app on the Android Market. This will deter a lot of people from uploading "junk".

Having said that, if you use the AppBrain website, it filters out "spam" apps, so you don't even see them when looking for legitimate apps.

On the flip-side, App Inventor will allow someone with a great idea who knows nothing about programming to come up with some pretty nice apps :)

Upvote 0
wow, awesome. Now I can make some apps for my phone (like soundboards my daughter can play with) even if I don't care about putting them on the market.

I used to use Klick N Play, Shoot'em Up Construction kit, RPG Maker 2000 back in the day to make some pretty cool (simple) games.

Looking foward to it

... and it's in stuff like this that the true value lies. Folks who are not concerned about widespread appeal, but who just want to make very personal applications. It makes Android even more personal.

Upvote 0
I guess it really depends on how many of these "home brew" apps make it to the market. If they just start showing up without any way to sort or separate them, it's going to be a mess.

yeah, it will be interesting to see how quickly the market grows, but at the same time it will be interesting to see how much CRAP makes it into the market to have to search through in order to get to a decent app.

According to this column, these apps won't be published in the market:

To be clear, App Inventor isn't about to replace or even threaten the traditional developer model -- far from it. Apps built with Google's new tool will be less robust and advanced than what any professional developer could create; we're talking about two entirely different leagues of programs. In fact, despite what you may have read elsewhere, apps created with App Inventor won't even be published to the Android Market as of now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones