• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(Google Messenger vs Google Hangouts) + Google Voice?

Hey everyone! I think my issues here are multifaceted so let me know what you think.

I just recently switched from an Apple iPhone 6+ to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

I am originally from Kansas and have now live in Idaho, and I have been using Google Voice to slap a local 208 phone number onto my existing 785 number from Kansas. (It helps locals answer the calls for work when I call from the 208)

When I switched to the Galaxy S7 Edge, the phone came preloaded with Hangouts and cannot be uninstalled from the phone to my knowledge. I've used Hangouts a bit, but have also downloaded Google Messenger and much prefer Messenger.

My issue is that I can start texts and messages in the Messenger and everything works well, but when someone I haven't spoken with before or lately texts me, it goes to Hangouts first instead of Messenger. Any idea how to make Messenger my number one option?

My second issue is that I use Google Voice and it seems to be an obsolete app. Everytime I open the app, it says "You are now receiving SMS texts in Hangouts" and asks if I want to go to Hangouts or if I want to opt out, which I suppose keeps me in Voice. It doesn't say anything about how I can receive the texts in Messenger. In the phone's text settings, I have Messenger and not Hangouts selected as my default for texts.

Do I still need voice downloaded? Can I have new texts and voicemails going to Messenger now somehow?

Also, since I switched phones, my number is appearing as a 785 again, despite Voice saying it should show as 208.

HELP!!!

Opt out of Hangouts in Google Voice. Sign out of Hangouts before you disable it. That should make Messenger the default for your actual number and GV for your GV number. You'll still need both apps. Hangouts used to be much easier to use with GV, they changed it and it's sort of clunky if you use both now.

AFAIK Hangouts is the only way to use one app for both. Otherwise you have to use two.

Are your GV calls working right? There's a great app for GV calling, Voice Choice, check it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones