• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Now Not working properly uk

Android Version: 4.1.1 Stock
Build: JRO03C
Phone Model: UK Galaxy Nexus

Hey guys, gonna get straight to the point with my questions:

1: Having attempted to replicate most of the questions found on this YT vid (How to impress your friends: 40+ voice searches on Jelly Bean - YouTube) I found that the TTS output is still the old robotic one. However in the settings the only TTS engine selected for output is the supposed new one that, when listening to a sample, seems fine (as in it gives that much more human speech). What is with this discrepancy? Is there some error in the app tapping into the new TTS engine? Has anyone else had it?

2: Also about the voice searching, I have found that the answer "cards" I get do not contain pictures in the way the one on the video appears to, is this a difference between the American and UK builds of JB? For instance, the question about who founded Napster (Sean Parker) contained a picture of him, while mine just had his name and no picture.

3: Tying into question two, many of the questions I replicated on voice search didn't give an answer card, but instead gave a Google search page. For instance, the "1 dollar in euro" question gives him an answer card, but for me it gave the Google search. What is with this discrepancy? And yes, I made sure the search was exactly the same as his.

Is there something that needs to be done to rectify this? Thanks.

I upgraded to jelly bean a few days ago and after watching what Google now is capable of on youtube , I couldn't wait to test it out, especially voice control. But I've been somewhat disappointed with some of the features not working and I'm guessing its down to the fact I live in the UK.

The sports team card does not work for my football team. I have searched on Google for many things associated with my team and no cards have appeared. I have asked for their next fixture but it just takes me to Google. I've tried to add a team but it just greyed out in the settings and I'm unable to access it!!!

The same Applies for transport. For example I can be at a bus stop or train station but nothing appears. Again I'm guessing this is down to me living in the UK as the software isn't fullly compatible with the UK.

Also some questions that I've seen asked on YouTube my voice search doesn't answer whereas in the the US it does for example 'how much is Angelina jolie worth?'

With the sports card on Google now the football season hasn't started so whether that has anything to do with it I'm not sure.

Is Anyone else having these problems or know for definite why us in the UK aren't getting the full use of Google now and voice?

Upvote 0
I upgraded to jelly bean a few days ago and after watching what Google now is capable of on youtube , I couldn't wait to test it out, especially voice control. But I've been somewhat disappointed with some of the features not working and I'm guessing its down to the fact I live in the UK.

The sports team card does not work for my football team. I have searched on Google for many things associated with my team and no cards have appeared. I have asked for their next fixture but it just takes me to Google. I've tried to add a team but it just greyed out in the settings and I'm unable to access it!!!

The same Applies for transport. For example I can be at a bus stop or train station but nothing appears. Again I'm guessing this is down to me living in the UK as the software isn't fullly compatible with the UK.

Also some questions that I've seen asked on YouTube my voice search doesn't answer whereas in the the US it does for example 'how much is Angelina jolie worth?'

With the sports card on Google now the football season hasn't started so whether that has anything to do with it I'm not sure.

Is Anyone else having these problems or know for definite why us in the UK aren't getting the full use of Google now and voice?

My guess is that a lot of things will be adapted/enabled by Google in accordance with localisation over the next months. However, I pushed the home button up and said "how old is Angelina Jolie" and the (spoken) answer came back "Angelina jolie is 37 years old" - I suspect that must be right. You need to make sure that you have downloaded the offline speech recognition data and enabled English (UK) as your default Voice setting! Our accents may cause the US voice recognition software some problems. :)

Upvote 0

I have to say that worked for me (in London). Rather surprisingly it figured out where i worked, and presented me with a bus route and an estimated time of arrival. It doesn't always do it though, and my guess was that it only does around the time it thinks i might want to commute.

It didn't seem to notice i was next to a tube station, but perhaps thats because TFL haven't given google access to all their data.

Upvote 0

Well it's strangely comforting to see I'm not the only Brit with this situation. Seems, as a member said above, that there may be some localisation fine tuning to do in the coming months regarding Now. Google themselves said that it's going to get better over time, so it's a case of patience.

Still, I can't see why using the nice, human-esque American voice would conflict with my Brit accent. I'd infinitely prefer the nice human American talking to me than the robotic old English TTS (this might be because I have an American girl friend, but whatever :D). I tried multiple different setting configs, like setting both speech output to American and voice recognition to US English, and such changes are reflected in the "listen to an example" button in the settings, but not reflected in the Now app. I even tried clearing the TTS engine cache & data, as well as force stopping and restarting to see if that might clear some data out, but nothing.

Regarding the cards, as I said in my first post, I replicated the questions in the attached video, some brought up cards just like the vid, some didn't (when they should have). Also, my cards would bring up no pictures, just text, while the one in the vid (presumably an American) did get pictures.

If anyone can shed any more light, that would be great.

Upvote 0
I'm having this same problem I got my Nexus 7 yesterday.

No pictures with search results on people.

No nice American ladyies voice just a plain boring UK English. I really prefer the American versian and everytime I change the voice settings to English (US) it still comes back with the UK version. Is this something to do with the fact Google know your location and know you're in England so that's why they won't allow the voice change? I don't know.

I was pretty much looking forward to Google Now. Hopefully things will get better in time. Unless someone knows how to rectify this obvious problem with it. Please do let us know.

Upvote 0
It seems to be improving. I got pictures when asking about people in the YouTube video - Natalie Port man, Bill Murray etc all came up.

Still no sports cards although settings now recognises Newcastle as my team. Let's see if there is a card while we are spanking Tottenham on Saturday.

Some of the other items didn't work, g o o g didn't come up with a card when Facebook stock did.

Not all quite there yet but better than it was a fee weeks ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones