• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Kept Sticking Trying to Reset

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
I am sure to attract some "OMG" type of posts, but anyway--I was wiping my LG F3 tonight and trying to set it up in a new way with a new launcher etc, and while trying to access Google Play, it kept sticking. Some 15 minutes later, it STILL was giving me the hourglass.

I became impatient, and smashed the phone to bits.

OK, maybe that was immature--that said, I keep getting these sort of experiences with smartphones all the time, and I'm sick of it. To wit:

(1) When I tap an icon, I want it to open NOW, and I mean NOW, right NOW. If it takes 2 seconds, it took too long. Open RIGHT NOW, no lag, no delays, NOW and I mean NOW.

Why was Google Play "hourglassing" like that? Was it auto-updating? Well how about this--DON'T. How about WAIT until I give you MY PERMISSION to do it? If I want to update, I will, if I am trying to quickly set up my phone with the apps I want, that's what I'm trying to do, and I'm not interesting in having to wait 30,002 trillion years for you to update. Update WHEN I want to, and no sooner--I don't care if failure to update causes me to die, I don't care, I'd rather DIE than have you update when I didn't TELL you to. UGH!!!

(2) Speaking of updates, I had V6 but a couple of weeks ago it kept nagging me to update to V7. I decided I'd wait to do that later, but no--the darn thing kept nagging the freaking heck out of me, worse than a nagging spouse or parent. So, fine, I updated--since then, the battery life seems worse, and the GPS is slower.

Why couldn't I just click something that says "remind me later" as in "LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!" And why couldn't I do that WITHOUT "rooting." Rooting takes too long. I want to be able to do that out of box, day 1, with the stock programs.

(3) Speaking of rooting--how come everything I DO find on rooting is so obscure about how you do it? I need step-by-step instructions, right down to what a microSD card is, what it looks like, how to hold the phone, how to install the "Cyanmod" or whatever, or whatever, how to unzip files--EVERYTHING. What I do find is too "techno" in its language--and the thing is, I've done techno, down to programming Visual Basic, and I STILL don't know what the heck they're talking about.

(4) Getting back to #1 a bit--how come phones have to lag with everything? The reason I was resetting my phone was because it was lagging in even the most basic of tasks and totally getting on my nerves, so I did a factory reset and was going to carefully construct it from the ground-up. It was driving me crazy--just hitting back out of an app to get out of an app could take forever. I want it to take around 1-2 seconds TOTAL, and that is worst-case. I want it FAST, and I mean FAST. It's not that I play hard-core games, but dang it shouldn't take 5-10 seconds to back out of Maps to go home, it should take 1-2 seconds maximum even if I'm 4-5 steps inward.

(5) Along those same lines, I gave up with Google Play and went on my computer and selected the app to have it "force to phone" over-the-air that way, but that wouldn't go either, I guess because it was still "hour-glassing" in Google Play.

My thing is--I want to update LATER, when I am first setting up a phone from scratch, I want the various apps installed and everything up and going in terms of having everything at least GOING. I am not interested in updating at that point, I will update LATER when I FEEL like it, during "slow time" when the phone's not doing anything and everything is "settled." When the phone is "bare," I am in a very big hurry to end that "bare" state, RIGHT NOW, from "wipe" to "going" I want it to be, maybe, 10 minutes TOTAL. I have NO interest in waiting 10-15 minutes just for Google Play to stop auto-updating (assuming that's what it was doing) so I can get down to business. That is completely and totally 100% unacceptable.

I'm thinking of a lightswitch, especially with incadescent bulbs--you flick the switch, BAM!, it's on, flick it again, BAM!, it's off. I want it that fast, for EVERYTHING.

Do I have to buy a $500 Samsung Galaxy S9 with 16-core 9.9 Gigahertz processors? What can I buy that's going to do ALL of this? It's enough to make me want to go back to using flip-phones.

Reading this post is like reading an epic novel. SRSLY!

J/K ;)

Others might have skipped due to tl;dr issues.

Honestly, if apps starting instantaneously is what you want, you might want to save your $$$ for the upcoming iPhone 6. Apple got the ball rolling on 64 bit capability for their mobile devices with the iPhone 5.

As for rooting, I've found everything here for the F3 to be adequate. To be fair, I have rooted every Android device I've owned. Not an easy task, but less difficult than it once was just a few years ago. It's possible to root now without using a PC, but I still personally recommend using one to aid in backing up files and apps from the F3.

I honestly find it extremely strange that you can't understand the rooting process. I'm not even a programmer (not for work anyway), my experience in education and work is 90% electronic hardware. For someone so tech savvy, I just find it strange that you can't figure out the rooting process. YOU'RE OVERTHINKING THIS, honestly. Heck, I don't even use Windows much anymore. I'm mostly on Linux as far as PC use, so if I were a hardcore coder, I wouldn't have much use for Visual Basic except for work.

I hear you about wanting to update later. Look, that bothered me every time I've gotten an Android phone. Still, there are ways to correct problems that updating creates. ATM this is done best with a rooted device, as making backups depends on apps and methods that work only on rooted phones. There are a few exceptions, but the unrooted methods don't work as well.

And yeah, as tech savvy as I am, there are times where I'd much rather carry around a flip phone or a 'feature' phone. Even with the minor bugs, I'm happy carrying around a smartphone. I prefer to be optimistic about things I guess. :)

Why hold yourself back if you don't have to? My $0.02.

Upvote 0
I ended up buying another LG F3 today during lunch. Someone had one they sold me for $40 (after all Best Buy is selling it new for $60), and it's working better than my previous one so far despite having V7 firmware. I also installed Zeam Launcher as a replacement for the home screen instead of Holo Launcher HD as I had been using, as it was recommended as being a very minimalist system resource using app.

I may one day buy an LG Viper or Samsung Galaxy S3 or a similar higher-end phone, but for now an LG F3 is fine if it will stop lagging. So far, this one has lagged less. (I didn't wipe it, the previous user did, maybe somewhere along the way Google Play auto-updated on their time, I guess.) As long as it doesn't lag seriously, I'm good. I may root it one day, if I can find something that spells it out step-by-step.

Upvote 0
I ended up buying another LG F3 today during lunch. Someone had one they sold me for $40 (after all Best Buy is selling it new for $60), and it's working better than my previous one so far despite having V7 firmware. I also installed Zeam Launcher as a replacement for the home screen instead of Holo Launcher HD as I had been using, as it was recommended as being a very minimalist system resource using app.

I may one day buy an LG Viper or Samsung Galaxy S3 or a similar higher-end phone, but for now an LG F3 is fine if it will stop lagging. So far, this one has lagged less. (I didn't wipe it, the previous user did, maybe somewhere along the way Google Play auto-updated on their time, I guess.) As long as it doesn't lag seriously, I'm good. I may root it one day, if I can find something that spells it out step-by-step.

The info here hopefully will help if you decide to root.

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...4-vm-ls720v7-updating-rooting-unbricking.html

Upvote 0
{snip}
I think maybe the key is to do your homework before you buy, including going to the store and trying some out. (Doing your homework will mean you'll also find which proffered models at the brick stores are the same as the one you're otherwise considering.)

With newer phones such holes are infrequent at best, so you're stuck with doing the work. Hey, it's just like anything else in life that is worth doing, you have to take your time. You're not just going to meet someone at lunch, be married in the afternoon and have kids in the evening. ;)

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

In fact, while I didn't try out the LG F3 in the store, I read good things about it. I had earlier purchased an ZTE Awe as Target had them for $20 on Black Friday 2013. I bought 2 of them--the 1st one ran okay but I accidentally dropped it on concrete before buying a case for it, the 2nd would keep rebooting in a loop for 20-odd minutes and I ended up smashing it to bits.

Radio Shack had the LG F3 for $70 (if I recall) on sale so I got it, and got a protective case for it from the start.

Most times, it's been okay. It seems that since V7 or maybe even V6 it's not quite as snappy. The main thing which upsets me, and this is not particular to the LG F3, is how you are naggraviated (my word, you combine nagging and aggravated and you have naggravated) to update and then you cant' un-update if you don't like it. In fact, prior to getting the ZTE Awe for cheap, I had purchased a Samsung Galaxy Ring. It updated from 4.0 to 4.2 or something and after that, it was much worse--I then, later, read that many people experienced the same thing. The only way to "roll it back" was to, yes, root it, and spend all of that time.

Also, prior to that, echoing my initial post regarding the LG F3, when I first got the Samsung Galaxy Ring, I was in the Google Play store trying to download apps, and it was incredibly slow to do anything. I THEN found out that this was because it was downloading 4.1 over-the-air automatically, something like a 400 megabyte download or something, and it was doing this WITHOUT TELLING ME or asking me if I wanted to. I want the phones, out of box, to update NOTHING until I TELL IT TO, or it prompts me and I say "yes." If I say "no," or I don't tell it to update, then--well, here's a thought.

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!

I do tend, especially since that time, to keep File Expert-generated .apk files on my microSD so I can install those apps right away, before I've even entered my Google account information. I especially want my launcher first--for a good while this was Holo Launcher HD, now it's Nova (was Zeam for a short bit). I then want my TouchPal X keyboard right away (it's the only one I like), and Opera Mini/Boat Browser Mini web browsers, and ColorNote. I want these IMMEDIATELY, as in NOW. By having the .apk files all I have to do is turn on the setting to allow "unauthorized sources" and then go to the file browser and start installing--launcher, then keyboard, then browsers. I then will enter my Google account sign-in (as I have my good keyboard now) and let the Gmail & contacts etc start downloading.

This is the thing--I want THOSE things to start downloading first, NOT Google Play updating, not a firmware update, not an OS update, but THOSE things. If there is an OS update, firmware update, or Google Play update, fine, I'll do those later AFTER the phone is up and running and it's now "idle" for awhile. But if I've wiped the phone to clear up space etc, I now want it "up and running" IMMEDIATELY. I have NO interest in fooling with huge updates right now, and ESPECIALLY without my giving consent, and I DO NOT want to be "naggravated" about a firmware update every 10 minutes.

Simply--leave me alone, AND don't make me have to "root" to do this. Just--leave me alone. Period.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones