• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google play services stopped

Ironrod1960

Lurker
Jan 13, 2016
kindle fire hd 8.9
android ver 5.1.1
rooted with cyanogen

I checked the kindle fire forum and the newest post is from august 2015. I thought I could get some more up to date help.

I rooted this early last year and have completely forgotten the process. It was working as of this past summer when I got a samsung tab and put the kindle away. I rebooted it on the 8th of jan this rear. It notified me of the newest nightly update and I installed it. Immediately my google play services stopped. I updated services, play store, cleared cache and data and even removed all my google accounts. In each step things got worse. I cant even add a google account now.

Can anyone help?

With kindle connected to pc in this path....."this pc/amazon jem/internal storage/twrp'" I see a hidden file named ".twrps". Extension only, no name. When I check the "properties" it calls it a "twrps file".
When I look in path....."this pc/amazon jem/internal storage/" I have a zip folder named...."zip-kfhd8-twrp-2.8.3.0-recovery.zip". In "properties" it shows it was created on 2/12/2015 9:56 PM which is right around the time I rooted it last year. Are either one my restore file?

Upvote 0
I have an original Kindle Fire HD running CyanogenMod. When I installed CyanogenMod last year, it was CyanogenMod 11 (KitKat). In December, I updated it and discovered the update was a MAJOR update to CyanogenMod 12.1 (Lollipop). I don't know if yours went from KitKat to Lollipop as well, but if it did, you need to install gapps for Lollipop. http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

Reactions: Ironrod1960
Upvote 0
Yes, I am running lollipop. And forgive me but I have forgotten how to install gapps etc. Additionally, I just connected my kindle to my PC and it asks me if I want to allow usb debugging. As I recall I select "always allow from this computer" box and say OK?
I have only rooted one tablet and I am using a different pc of which I couldn't transfer the old files because it crashed. I suspect I had information on the old pc that would have helped me do this. IE the apk/super user installs etc. I know I have twrp on the tablet, but I cannot remember how to access. Power button/up volumn etc.?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones