• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google possible buyer of Sprint Nextel?

joek71

Oct 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hos true is this?

Google possible buyer of Sprint Nextel?

And if it true what are the pros & cons?

Link:
Google possible buyer of Sprint Nextel? | Sprint Connection | News and views on Sprint Nextel

Also is this old story?
What you guys think.
progress.gif

Not likely, or probable, would seriously dilute Googles influence on all cell phone companies as a provider of a mobile OS, as they would be competing with vendors selling their own OS. All other cell phone providers would eventually ditch Android, since no one wants to make their competitors rich. Besides that, the article is 2 years old, which means it is obsolete in this fast moving tech world. There have been other threads with the exact same topic, and same response.

Upvote 0
Not likely, or probable, would seriously dilute Googles influence on all cell phone companies as a provider of a mobile OS, as they would be competing with vendors selling their own OS. All other cell phone providers would eventually ditch Android, since no one wants to make their competitors rich. Besides that, the article is 2 years old, which means it is obsolete in this fast moving tech world. There have been other threads with the exact same topic, and same response.

Android is practically free if not completely free to manufacturers. Yes they make money from it as a whole but not from the OS itself. Also Apple includes Boot Camp now which allows there users to load up a competitors OS which definitely made Microsft more money, so bottom line you logic is flawed.

Also the article in reference was posted in August of 2008 so it is obviously outdated as well as a rumor.

Upvote 0
Android is practically free if not completely free to manufacturers. Yes they make money from it as a whole but not from the OS itself. Also Apple includes Boot Camp now which allows there users to load up a competitors OS which definitely made Microsft more money, so bottom line you logic is flawed.

Also the article in reference was posted in August of 2008 so it is obviously outdated as well as a rumor.
Not sure what you are trying to say, but my logic is not flawed.

Android is cheap/free to manufacturers because it will ultimately make money for Google (apps, ads, etc). This is OK with the cell manufacturers/carriers, because they still make money on the phone/data service and add ons. What they would not be happy with, is supporting (providing them name recognition, app revenue, ad revenue, etc.) a direct competitor, as the case would be if Google were a cell phone service provider (competitor).
As soon as you tell me Apple is providing Windows7 as the factory OS for its Iphone, I will concede the argument.

Also, I already pointed out the article was 2 years old...

Upvote 0
I don't know if you ever used a Mac before but Apple has done many things to allow Microsoft software within it's Mac OS. You see what I did there, I showed you an example of your FLAWED LOGIC using sources outside the smartphone world. Even if Google did buy out sprint (which we already have proven to be a rumor) other cell phone carriers would continue to sell Android based phones because they would make more money from the contract and the sale then Google would from a few 99 cent apps. Money speaks in many different languages you should try to me more open to the possibilies.

Upvote 0
I don't know if you ever used a Mac before but Apple has done many things to allow Microsoft software within it's Mac OS. You see what I did there, I showed you an example of your FLAWED LOGIC using sources outside the smartphone world. Even if Google did buy out sprint (which we already have proven to be a rumor) other cell phone carriers would continue to sell Android based phones because they would make more money from the contract and the sale then Google would from a few 99 cent apps. Money speaks in many different languages you should try to me more open to the possibilies.
Since you want to use logic, at least use a relevant comparison. As soon as Apple uses a Microsoft OS as an exclusive factory OS for their hardware, you will have a relevant example to cite.

Upvote 0
Although the article is from a few years back, the rumor does come up once in a while. But for the sake of discussion, lets play.
Yes its true that while Google is one of the backers of WiMax, I doubt they will buy Sprint. If anything they seemed to have learned from the Nexus debacle
Just the thought of Google having now to take care of stores, and their product distribution besides Android phones is something I do not seem them wanting to do. But stranger things have happened in the Industry. If anything they should have had a run in buying a cell phone manufacturer like Palm or HTC before buying a company such as Sprint, T-Mobile, Clear etc.

TS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones