• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice vs Sprint Hero Visual VM

matbob

Feb 8, 2010
I have a GV account that I don't really use much, but I am familiar with the system. I know they also offer just VM so you can keep your current cell #. What I want to know is, what do people think about the Sprint visual voicemail that comes on the Hero as it compares to google's VM. Besides transcription, are there any benefits? Are there any downsides?

Thanks

I prefer Sprint's VM because they don't charge against my minutes. I'm one of those that's pretty close to my minutes every month so those extra minutes calling my GV number would put me over my limit.

If I could get the transcripts from GV but still have my VMs go to my Sprint VM, I would be happy!

Upvote 0
Neither one uses pictures correctly. If using GV, if you have their name set to +1xxxxxxxxxx it will use their Google picture.

I find the call quality of GV better than VVM, so I use that. I set the polling to really high (so it doesn't drain the battery) and have it set to send me a text letting me know I have a new VM. So my text is my notification. That is a push and not a pull so I get it faster than every 5 mins.

Transcribe is a bonus. I find it really inaccurate, but its neat. I also like the option of listening to my GV on a computer.

Upvote 0
I use Google Voice in a very limited fashion because since I'm on Sprint with its any mobile, any time, it makes Google Voice not that great a deal for mobile to mobile calls. So, unless Sprint sees the Google Voice number as a mobile phone, then it's going to count against my airtime minutes when I get a forwarded mobile caller from Google Voice, or I use Google Voice for an outgoing call to another mobile. At least that's the way I comprehend it.

As far as voicemail, well, Google Voice is better than VVM in my opinion since I can have different announcements for callers. And, when I set a caller to be blocked, Google Voicemail answers with the three tones and states that the number has been disconnected.

However, I admit that am a bit excited and patiently waiting to see what Google is planning to roll out of their labs since their acquisition of Gizmo5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones