• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trooper

Android Expert
Apr 11, 2010
Hi all,

So got the phone on Wednesday (thank you Expansys.com) and hooked it up on ATT yesterday here in the US.

I have a few questions, so forgive me if they seem noobish.

The storage capacity. I thought it was 16GB. But it says I have USB storage of 11.50GB and Device Memory is just under 2GB. So what gives? When I install apps is it just going to the 2GB of storage space? I was using a cleanup utility last night to clear cache and it stated I only have 1.83GB of memory?

Just curious how this works and how Samsung has the storage space split up.

Display - Does this display look a bit grainy to any of you? Looking at the new android market with the pictures at the top of the screen, and it flat out looks grainy when compared to my Droid X. I thought super amoled was all that and a bag of chips?

Speaking of display and the capacitive buttons. There are the two one for menu and the one for back. For the menu one on the left hand side, does it seem to be cut off or cut in half to you guys? I saw another video of the phone online and it did the same thing. Is this normal? Or do I have a defective display?

I have not done anything much with it yet aside from installing a few apps. Had to put LPP on it as I dont care for touchwiz. I see all these posts talking about firmware? How do I go about updating the firmware and is this a necessity?

Rooting I want to do at some point as well. But not sure how to root this phone. Is it easy to root and more importantly, set it back to stock if need be?

Also, for those in the USA who may be running this on ATT. I know with VZW after you root and install your rom, you need to activate the phone by doing *228 option 1. Now I know with ATT there is a SIM card of course. Does anything need to be done to activate it back on the ATT network after rooting and roming?

I may have more questions but these are initial ones. Trying to sort out this phone and decide if its for me, or if I will send and back and/or sell it off.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Is there anything else that I should be doing right up front with this phone? As in the firmware etc. I see a lot of talk of kies, but dont know what this is.

Again, sorry for the noob questions Im just so used to VZW and Moto hardware.

Cheers.

EDIT: Is there no LED on the face of this phone? :(

My storage was the same. I always assumed that the missing gb or 2 is used for everything that it's installed on your phone when you got it.

I'm not to sure about the market as I have the uk one. But have you scrolled from left to right as there are a few pages.

If you were one of the unlucky people who gets the random reboots then you might need to, these didn't stop till I updated. You can do this with either kies our odin. There are loads of guides in this forum.

Routing seems more complicated than it actually is at first. Just follow one of the guides and ask people here questions as you go if needed. I'm sure you will be fine.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
Thanks yeah Im still trying to get used to the phone. Much different from my Droid X.

I have no random reboots, but thought if maybe I updated the firmware it may help sort out some things. Will need to read how to do that.

Will also check out the root guide here on the forums.

Cheers and thanks.

Upvote 0
Trooper, sorry for 'hijacking' this post.
I too on AT&T and considering jumping ship from the Bold 9700 to the S2.
I did not know of course what expansys.com was, and when I checked it out (after reading your post), I was amazed to see kind of deals cell customers can get outside U.S. Not sure why the U.S. is so far behind in the cell phone markets and why we pay so much. Look at what they get for $57 (not to mention the free S2). Simply amazing IMHO.

Attachments

• S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
yeah, the storage is exactly that. 11.5 plus the 2 gigs of device memory. the rest of the 16 is used for OS and system i guess. and yes, if u install all ur apps on ur phone memory, ur limited to 2 gigs. or 1.83. some apps allow u to move to SD card, so i think u should be alright.

the display is one of the best ive seen on a mobile, so i cant say that i noticed anything like this.

hmm.. im not sure wat u mean by the menu button being cut off.

about updating the firmware, u could check out intratech's thread on XDA. its super easy to update firmware, and root too, if u want... unrooting is pretty easy too.
click here
looks like KG5 is the latest official firmware, running android 2.3.4. it looks pretty stable

about kies, do not use it. it sucks. use itunes plus an android sync, such as isyncr or itunes agent for ur music, and just drag n drop ur other stuff. and use Odin for updating firmware (see the link above)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones