• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GParted help...

Dudditz

Android Enthusiast
May 25, 2010
Dundee
So, since the handy helpers on here advised thar ROM Manager is, well not good, I have decided I will have to use gparted to partition my SD card (unless there is any other options?)

Problem is I do not have a working CD burner, so the question is, can I run it on a USB or even a virtual drive (I get the feeling both will be a no)?

Cheers dudes.

Should be able to. I don't know whether the fedora liveusb-creator would work with this, or whether it's too much intended for linux distros, but may be worth a shot. There are also some instructions for making a GParted live usb here.

As for a VM, if you have an iso you should be able to make one. I did this with the alpharev tool to S-Off my desire: just ran VirtualBox, told it which iso to use and voila, and I can't see why it wouldn't work here.

If all else fails, most linux downloads will come with GParted (it's used when installing), so if you follow a recipe on the web for making a linux live USB you can boot it and run GParted from that.

Upvote 0
you can use virtual box however you have to keep telling it to connect to your phone, if you can get someone to make you a bootable disc it is soooo much easier, and i expect it is with a usb, so if your burner isnt working try the usb first,

here are the instuctions hope its of some help

edit, went to make a brew finished this and was beaten to it!! lol

Upvote 0
you can use virtual box however you have to keep telling it to connect to your phone
Would you have to for this job? You do for S-Off because it keeps rebooting and having to be reattached, but I wouldn't expect that to happen with disk partitioning.

Disclosure: I just run GParted from linux, so haven't tried with a stand-alone GParted live anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones