• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I've been using google maps but in the past 2 weeks it's been very buggy and unreliable. It keeps loosing gps connection and telling me it's searching for signal, etc meanwhile I'm lost in a not so great part of town, etc

I'm hoping there is a better option out there! Right now I have a 4G Epic Touch.

I'm looking at Copilot, but is that the best one out there? I'm reading a lot of issues with the program closing. Are those still valid issues?

Usually, its not the app that's having the problem. Its the GPS antenna on the phone when you can't get a location lock. (In that case, you will have the same result no matter what GPS app you use.) As to CoPilot, I have version 9 USA maps and love it. I haven't had any problems at all. just make sure you have enough phone storage space for the maps. (They store the maps on your phone.)

Upvote 0
I second the comments that Google Navigation is not the issue. It is likely your phone and its GPS reception. My SGSII will unexplicably loose reception once in awhile. I downloaded the free app called GPS Status and use its download of a GPS assist file to help with the situation. I also make sure that I reboot my phone every couple days.

Beware with CoPilot - their new version is not compatible with at least some of the US-based SGSII variants. It doesn't work on the Sprint CDMA phone. I used the previous version (v8) for over 4000 miles on a trip last year. The app is great from a feature perspective, however, just be aware that that maps are pretty poor. I logged 19 map errors (major errors like wrong freeway exists, major roads, etc.) on that trip alone. Spend some time reading the Android market and iOS app store reviews for the product. As long as you are prepared for less than great map accuracy then you won't be disappointed.

Upvote 0
For the US, CoPilot is definitely the best choice -- their maps are updated monthly, and they respond quickly to user-submitted map errors. Plus, it's now half-price.

It doesn't require a data connection if you're not using any of the real-time features (traffic, fuel prices, etc.) and you have AGPS turned off. I haven't heard about the issues closing -- it's never happened to me.

I've used CoPilot for years on both WinMo and Android devices. I've tried all the others, but always end up going back to CoPilot; no one else can do the combination of ease of use and current accurate maps as well as they do.

Upvote 0
With all due respect, I've never heard anyone refer to CoPilot's maps as "current accurate maps." Their maps are usually referred to in the context of "I put up with them because it is a low cost app."

I would encourage the originally poster to review the user reviews on Android Market and the Apple App Store to get a good understanding of how the user community overall feels about CoPilot's maps.

What you should go with depends on what your purpose is. I wanted a good backup to Google Navigation for remote areas without a cell signal. If I am without a cell signal, chances are I am in an area that also isn't very populated with users and it is likely no one will have submitted map errors for correction.

For me, I went with Navigon as my backup because they use Navteq maps. It is much more expensive, but I have the quality of Navteq maps for my backup. I would also consider, now since it is out, Route 66. They use TomTom maps which are also pretty well regarded now compared to when TeleAtlas first come on the scene. I tried that app for a few days also, but didn't find a reason to buy the maps after the trial period though because I already had Navigon. Route 66 has a generous trial period. I'd recommend using it and seeing if it works for you.

The right solution for you is going to depend almost entirely on what your purpose of buying an app is. Unfortunately, with the 15 minute refund window, you will not get the maps downloaded in time to try it and refund it. Let us know more about your desires and we can help you more.

For the US, CoPilot is definitely the best choice -- their maps are updated monthly, and they respond quickly to user-submitted map errors. Plus, it's now half-price.

It doesn't require a data connection if you're not using any of the real-time features (traffic, fuel prices, etc.) and you have AGPS turned off. I haven't heard about the issues closing -- it's never happened to me.

I've used CoPilot for years on both WinMo and Android devices. I've tried all the others, but always end up going back to CoPilot; no one else can do the combination of ease of use and current accurate maps as well as they do.

Upvote 0
Me and my wife took a trip to Wisconsin in a remote area in the middle of know where. (It was a nice place though.) I was able to get us there, using Google Navigation, but as soon as I turned it off and back on again, I wasn't able to pull up Google Nav. again. (No data signal.)Thank God I had downloaded CoPilot Live V9. I used it all while we were out of town and it worked great, even without a data signal. So, having an app for offline navigation is really wise and can be a life saver.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones