• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gps & e911

myet01

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
Hello,

I am on the cusp of leaving my BB Curve and buying either an HTC Hero or the Samsung Moment. Both have their pluses and negatives.

However, something I hear in both forums is to save battery turn off GPS. If you do that how does "Emergency Location" and/or "E911" service work? Aren't those dependent on GPS?

Thanks,

Tony

Interesting reads. It appears like the fcc doesn't necessarily mandate the "method" of obtaining location, merely the timeline and accuracy requirements.

HowStuffWorks "Enhanced 911"

Wireless 911 Services

And if you're really interested - here's the 2000 filing for Sprint PCS, which includes a lot of detail regarding the assumptions on where calls might be placed from, results, prototype tech used for obtaining signal, and assumptions around vendors ability to provide equipment: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=6512058793

And a followup 2002 status (these pdfs are REALLY in depth, but not overwhelming with jargon): http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=6513074739

More specifics on page 12-13 of the second document. It appears that that the tower-based location information is calculated on the network side, and not necessarily the handset. OF course this probably changes over time as tech changes...but remember the FCC mandate doesn't specify the tech...so it probably all varies by location/market/carrier/etc.

No idea where to find more current docs.

It's like a look back in time. in 2000 i had a totally crap flip phone.

Thanks for inspiring me to learn something :) (God I love the internet)

Upvote 0
I've only had to call 911 from a cell phone a couple of times.

Both times, I had to describe my location so that they could figure out which department to send me to.

One of those times they transferred me back and forth 3 times between two departments because both said it was the others jurisdiction at my location.

Either way, I'm less than impressed with my experience calling 911 from a GPS enabled cell phone.

-SF

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones