• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS, internet, foreign travel

Gotte

Dec 13, 2009
I'm planning a cycling trip to Europe (I live in UK), and realise if I use the onboard GPS which uses Google Maps, I'll be charged a roaming fee on top of my normal contract fee.
I'm wondering if I buy the GPS app (right turn?), will it use the internet and cost me, or does it run independently, and save me the extra roaming fee?

I'm planning a cycling trip to Europe (I live in UK), and realise if I use the onboard GPS which uses Google Maps, I'll be charged a roaming fee on top of my normal contract fee.
I'm wondering if I buy the GPS app (right turn?), will it use the internet and cost me, or does it run independently, and save me the extra roaming fee?

• Using GPS is free.

• Using A-GPS may cost you (operator fees)

• Using Google Maps will cost you because the map data has to be downloaded using internet access.

• Using a turn-by-turn SatNav like COPilot will be free (apart from the initial cost of purchasing) because the map data is held locally on the memory card.

1. However you may be charged for using additional services from within CoPilot as you will need internet access. But as long as you disable 3g / mobile network access you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
There are also some apps out there that claim to be able to download map data (from various sources, including google maps) for a region and cache it so that you can use it later without a network connection. So, as long as you know which areas youre going to be cycling in advance this might be a workable approach.

Have a look at these
RMaps v0.7.4.2 Application for Android | Travel
bigplanet | All | By date, Androlib, Android Applications and Games
http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-codesector-maverick-pro-qFiE.aspx

Cant say whether theyre any good or not as i havent tried them

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones