• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS Issues with HTC Evo V?

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
About a week ago I got an HTC Evo V for Virgin Mobile I only paid $70 for it. So far I've loved it, except this: it seems to have GPS issues.

It doesn't seem to have them as bad as prior ones which did, the Samsung Galaxy S on AT&T (Captivate) or the Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile. However it has had a tendency to "jump around" on the map or "lag" versus keeping up with the vehicle as it's moving. It would really frustrate me if this is the case, as I use the GPS a LOT and also as I love the phone overall--and I'm also tired of every single 4 or 4.3" screen device I get having a GPS issue like this. EVERY TIME I go from a 3" device (I had a 3.5" Kyocera Event) to a 4" one, every single time, the 4" device has GPS issues.

I searched & I don't see many posts for the Evo V having GPS issues, but the Evo 3D on Sprint it's apparently derived from, I'm finding LOADS of posts about it.

Tips? Am I going to have to go back to 3" screens YET AGAIN (or would maybe getting one of the Samsung Galaxy phones on Virgin Mobile alleviate the problem?)

LRH

Upvote 0
Kind of off topic, but my GPS used to tell me I was in California often when I was at my house in Connecticut. As for keeping up with the car, is it lagging as in if your car crosses a street, the GPS crosses a few seconds later? Or is it that it stops moving and then jumps forward?

Upvote 0
You have to remember, GPS in most devices are only accurate up to a 100ft radius. If it appears to jump around, Its trying to guess where you are located within that 100 feet. Same goes for in a car. Theres the 100 foot diameter issue, plus GPS takes time to update. Its got to send a signal to 3-20 different satellites, And wait for a answer to triangulate your position.

Some devices are just built to update faster or may have a smaller radius. Being this is a phone, its not going to be perfect. Just be glad we have GPS on our phones period! :p

Upvote 0
One thing I have noticed--it seems to do just fine if you don't have it plugged into the car charger at the time, strangely enough. At least that's how it appears anyway.

The first time I tried it out, it worked fine. I recall that day I was only running it off its own battery. The next time I used it, I plugged it into the car charger, and it was acting goofy. I tried it tonight, again without the charger, and like the first time with no charger, it mostly worked just fine.

That seems strange, although I have noticed this & other phones in the past acting goofy if you use them while charging. The screen acts different, for one. I'm just using a normal generic micro USB charger, I don't get it. The main thing, too--as the GPS uses a LOT of battery power, you pretty much HAVE to plug it in. I have an Anker 5600 battery, maybe it would do fine with that?

Strange observation I'm making, but it does seem to work that way.

Reactions: TDOW
Upvote 0
One thing I have noticed--it seems to do just fine if you don't have it plugged into the car charger at the time, strangely enough. At least that's how it appears anyway.

The first time I tried it out, it worked fine. I recall that day I was only running it off its own battery. The next time I used it, I plugged it into the car charger, and it was acting goofy. I tried it tonight, again without the charger, and like the first time with no charger, it mostly worked just fine.

That seems strange, although I have noticed this & other phones in the past acting goofy if you use them while charging. The screen acts different, for one. I'm just using a normal generic micro USB charger, I don't get it. The main thing, too--as the GPS uses a LOT of battery power, you pretty much HAVE to plug it in. I have an Anker 5600 battery, maybe it would do fine with that?

I have had some issues with the GPS on the EVO getting a good fix. I never had a problem on my OpV. I will definitely test out the theory that being plugged in affects the GPS and report back here. Thank you for making that observation!

:)

Upvote 0

I use Google Navigation on my Evo while it's on my car charger. It always seems to get a lock on my location quickly and work accurately - for which I'm very grateful, since I can hardly navigate my way out of a paper bag on my own.

The only time I have any GPS/location issues is through Facebook. It seems to hold onto prior locations and have difficulty finding where I really am. Since it works fine at other times, I assume this is a problem with the Facebook app... and probably a sign that I don't need to let people know where I am at all times anyhow ;-)

Upvote 0
Its got to send a signal to 3-20 different satellites, And wait for a answer to triangulate your position.

I'm not so sure about this statement. Most GPS devices do not communicate with the satellites. It takes quite a bit of power and antenna to send a signal to a satellite. Most of them simply receive the signal from the satellites, and anything that's "sent" is usually sent over the cell network.

Upvote 0
Mine has always been instantaneous and solid, worst gps ever was on the Triumph by a long shot! :rolleyes:
OB

Hear, hear to that. I had the Triumph briefly last year, at first I was like "oh yeah" as I was coming from an Optimus V with its 3.2" screen and how had this with a 4.1" screen.

It had easily the WORST GPS of anything I had ever seen. Even the Galaxy S (Captivate on AT&T) I had the prior year wasn't that awful. Worse, the battery life was really short, even worse than other phones, and no one could make out what the heck I was saying.

I "downgraded" to an LG Optimus Elite and its 3.5" screen and was much happier.

Again, with the Evo V, it worked fine last night while I was using it without a charger. The car charger I use is a generic USB-outlet type with a plug for a USB cord. Sometimes when I charge it indoors it acts crazy if I try to use it. The 1 day it was acting up in the car, it was also on a charger. So maybe as long as I tether it to my Anker 5600 I'll be fine. I just know that last night with it not plugged in, it did fine.

LRH

Upvote 0
The first Evo V I had was perfect, as far as the GPS. It found me right away, always followed me, pinpointed me to a pretty small diameter, no lag, no issues. But I ordered a replacement for a different problem (now I wish I'd kept it, for that GPS), and the new phone had problems with the GPS. I had them send me yet another phone because of that, but I have the same GPS problems on the replacement replacement. :rolleyes: So I'm not sure what it's related to. It does seem to be a bit better after the recent system update was completed, but I have no idea if that has anything to do with it. GPS is a major consideration in a phone for me, since I use it a lot, and I won't (knowingly) buy any phone that doesn't have it working. That's part of the reason why I never bought the Triumph. Try the A-GPS Injector app, some people seem to have some luck with that.

Upvote 0
The first Evo V I had was perfect, as far as the GPS. It found me right away, always followed me, pinpointed me to a pretty small diameter, no lag, no issues. But I ordered a replacement for a different problem (now I wish I'd kept it, for that GPS), and the new phone had problems with the GPS. I had them send me yet another phone because of that, but I have the same GPS problems on the replacement replacement. :rolleyes: So I'm not sure what it's related to. It does seem to be a bit better after the recent system update was completed, but I have no idea if that has anything to do with it. GPS is a major consideration in a phone for me, since I use it a lot, and I won't (knowingly) buy any phone that doesn't have it working. That's part of the reason why I never bought the Triumph. Try the A-GPS Injector app, some people seem to have some luck with that.

I am happy to report that the 1 day I had trouble has been the only day I've had any trouble. Every time I've used the phone since, the GPS has grabbed a lock quickly and held-on tight & fast.

I am not saying that I NEEDED to do this, but what I did: I wiped the phone clean, and then after re-setting it up I also performed the "Update PRC" and "Update Profile" actions. Since that time, it has ran rock solid. It also helped me to remember that the Kyocera Rise I had been using up until a month or so ago, although its GPS typically worked very well, there was one occasion one-time where it couldn't get a lock to save its life, I had to pull over at a gas station & place it on top of their air pump (for inflating your tires) and leave it there aimed straight at the sky while pumping gas before it FINALLY obtained a lock. It had never done that before, and it didn't do it again after then either.

A tip: one app I like to use is "GPS Status." The reason: it shows LOTS of information such as your elevation, speed, there's a compass, and perhaps most of all--your GPS coordinates. As a side-note, I REALLY wish people understood GPS coordinates and used them. They are GREAT. They allow you to specify a difficult-to-find location precisely on a map (Google Earth, a Garmin Nuvi etc) and enable someone to GPS their way straight to it, even if the address doesn't come up right, and without those ridiculous "turn on the 2nd right after the house with the yellow plastic cow in the yard" types of directions that NEVER work right. I have used it whenever I've found interesting sights while out & about, or especially last year when we went on a vacation & I wanted to be able to "bookmark" my favorite places to where I could easily return to them later without getting lost & frustrated, and it has been great.

I can't count the number of times someone was trying to tell me where something was & insisted that a GPS couldn't find it because the address didn't come up properly, they'd INSIST on those "turn right by the windmill you can't miss it" directions, and when you asked them "can you get the GPS coordinates" their reply "no, I told you, the address doesn't come up on a GPS correctly." No, I didn't ask for the ADDRESS, I asked for the COORDINATES. "I TOLD YOU, it doesn't come up on a GPS." Even UPS can't get it right, they lost a package of mine because they couldn't find me and when I asked them "can you do GPS coordinates" they didn't even know what that was. Ugh.

As for the Motorola Triumph--I heard that. That has to be the worst phone I have ever used. Some have said if you root it & do this & that, it works fine--rooting is fine, but I shouldn't HAVE to root it for the GPS to work half-right. One time it took half-an-hour--HALF AN HOUR!!--to find my location. It was all I could do not to smash that phone into a million pieces. I sold it to someone who said they didn't mind the GPS behavior (I made a point that they make sure they understood that the GPS was HORRIBLE on that phone) and I spent that money on an LG Optimus Elite--smaller screen aside, it was a far better-acting phone.

Now, FINALLY, I can have a phone with a screen 4" or larger that also has decent GPS on it. Third time's the charm I suppose.

Upvote 0
I am not saying that I NEEDED to do this, but what I did: I wiped the phone clean, and then after re-setting it up I also performed the "Update PRC" and "Update Profile" actions. Since that time, it has ran rock solid. It also helped me to remember that the Kyocera Rise I had been using up until a month or so ago, although its GPS typically worked very well, there was one occasion one-time where it couldn't get a lock to save its life, I had to pull over at a gas station & place it on top of their air pump (for inflating your tires) and leave it there aimed straight at the sky while pumping gas before it FINALLY obtained a lock. It had never done that before, and it didn't do it again after then either.
My phone had been wiped, everything updated, etc., but that hasn't changed anything for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones