• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS Issues

Used the GPS (Google Navigation) on a trip from Oklahoma to Ohio Monday and back Wednesday. I-44 to I70 through the central part of the US. I had previously used Google Nav on a trip from Ohio to Nashville, then Nashville in to OK without problems.

Somewhere in Missouri on the way up, I started having major problems with GPS coverage. Using EclipSim's GPS Status, I could watch satellite reception when GN was "Searching for GPS." It would go for 20 minutes seeing only one sat, then grab 2 or 3, then lose them all. If I stopped for 5-10 minutes, it would get a good fix, then lose it within 5-10 minutes of moving again. This lasted pretty much from somewhere west of St Louis in to central Ohio. On the return trip, problems started somewhere in eastern Indiana, and lasted into central Missouri.

Could it be geography? Doesn't seem like it. My wife made the same trip two weeks ago using a Garmin Nuvi, and had no coverage issues. I'm also wondering where the GPS antenna is on the phone, and if it's picky about orientation. In previous trips, I used it in landscape mode, and that seemed to work fine. The problems on this trip seemed to be orientation-agnostic though.

App-wise, I had installed Locus Free, GPS Status, and c:geo between the good trip and the bad trip. Before my return trip, I uninstalled c:geo and Locus, but not GPS Status. Things didn't seem to improve much. Google Maps is current at 5.2.1.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I was explained the difference between using a GPS and the GPS on your phone by a vzw Rep. It's been awhile so I don't remember everything he said but here's th jist of it. Basically your phone does not get a GPS signal directly from a satellite as your Garmin does. Basically your phone uses multiple cell towers to triangulate your location through radio waves. The towers themselves connect to satellites. But your phone does not connect directly to satellites. Only satellite phones do that. That was basically what he told me. Hope it came out easy enough to understand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones