• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help group text messaging

What Android is really lacking is Smashtalk. Smashtalk is patent-pending technology that allows for text users to benefit from "Reply-All" functionality without any change of usage behavior. Best of all, Smashtalk embedded into Android would allow any of the SMS applications mentioned in previous posts to have access to this technology.

Getting the attention of Andy Rubin @ Google has been more than challenging. Smashtalk would make Android a better communication tool that the iPhone, BB or WinPhone. Imagine how the world of text messaging would change if every Android device supported text messaging with "Reply-All" functionality and had full compatibility with non-Smashtalk devices. www.smashtalk.net

Upvote 0
So after reading all the responses on here I dug into this myself. You can do this from your phone without software. Go to contacts and choose groups. Build your group. With the group open press the group action button and choose message. It will sent to all in the group.

thank you! I thought SURELY this phone should be able to do this without downloading an app or going thru gmail. Just fyi for others - apparently group is limited to 40.

Upvote 0
Part of the problem with the bulk sending of text messages is that once sent, the group cannot respond as a group. Were Google to get smart about Android, they would incorporate Smashtalk into Android and then all the various SMS apps would be sending SMS messages that contained the necessary info to permit a Reply-All function. Text chat functions have the same issue and same solution as the large group text message sending function. www.smashtalk.net

Upvote 0
iPek - a group messaging app to send FREE text messages to your friends who have smart devices such as the iphones/iTouches/androids. So, what are you waiting for? Simply download this FREE app and start messaging your friends.

Go to Android MarketPlace and search for "iPek".

Features
  • Send messages to groups of friends
  • Send different types of messages (peks) like text messages, messages with Yes/No/Tenatative options, Custom options etc.
  • Grouping Pek responses
  • Analyzing Pek responses and providing statistics based on responses. Ex: 33% answered YES
  • Addressbook Sync
  • Ability to respond to messages based on statistics
  • Creating and managing friend groups
  • Messages pushed through Notifications
Supported Devices
  • Android 2.2 and above
  • iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4
  • iPod Touch

Upvote 0
I have the same need. I get a lot of business-related SMS messages that I need to forward to other members of my team. Instead of sending one txt at a time, I'd love to be able to forward a single txt to everyone on my team at once.

Is that possible?

Yes, smslemon.com will help you in this case for sure. You can send sms to groups of people by the website.

Upvote 0
I also have a requirement to send sms messages to large groups of people so being a recent user of Droid (Samsung Galaxy S2) I found it very frustrating to find an app that managed this most basic of functions on a Blackberry.

After some trial and error on a few apps i.e. Handcent, Go SMS Pro then Chomp SMS https://market.android.com/details?id=com.p1.chompsms&hl=en I decided on Chomp and have actually paid for the app and it works great.

Handcent was very good but I found it tiresome because when sending a group message it listed each recipient individually in the menu which meant if someone responded and I needed to reply to all I had to go back into my contacts to select the group again.

Go SMS Pro looked to have overcome this problem as it listed just one entry in the message list with the message. However, I had problems trying to get Go SMS Pro to read the groups I had already setup within my contacts ( I use Gmail and sync my contacts from there.)

Finally I tried Chomp SMS - it lists the sent message under one entry in the inbox and reads the Groups in my Contacts effortlessly.

It is a free APP but whenever it did waht I needed I purchased it to remove the small ad. So fo

Upvote 0
I also have a requirement to send sms messages to large groups of people so being a recent user of Droid (Samsung Galaxy S2) I found it very frustrating to find an app that managed this most basic of functions on a Blackberry.

After some trial and error on a few apps i.e. Handcent, Go SMS Pro then Chomp SMS https://market.android.com/details?id=com.p1.chompsms&hl=en I decided on Chomp and have actually paid for the app and it works great.

Handcent was very good but I found it tiresome because when sending a group message it listed each recipient individually in the menu which meant if someone responded and I needed to reply to all I had to go back into my contacts to select the group again.

Go SMS Pro looked to have overcome this problem as it listed just one entry in the message list with the message. However, I had problems trying to get Go SMS Pro to read the groups I had already setup within my contacts ( I use Gmail and sync my contacts from there.)

Finally I tried Chomp SMS - it lists the sent message under one entry in the inbox and reads the Groups in my Contacts effortlessly.

It is a free APP but whenever it did waht I needed I purchased it to remove the small ad. So fo

Upvote 0
Just log into your google account and go to contacts, Create a group (Everyone) and add everyone in it. Once your google account syncs you can select your group from the list and send the message.

Hope this helps.

This doesn't work. i think u just mean to send to multiple people, we all know how to do this. What we want is to send to a group and receive from everyone we sent it to in one thread. and if e.i. jim sends a reply to me or this group message not only will i get it but any other people in the group will also receive it.

Upvote 0
We launched an Android app recently (PhoneLeash) that forwards SMS to email (yet another, I know). But one unique feature is that you can reply to the email (incoming SMS), and it will go back (looking clean) to the sender as an SMS reply. I know this is not a direct solution to the original post, but maybe there is something. It also gives us a few ideas ... hmm.

Upvote 0
When you go to your contacts list, there is a icon next to the magnifying glass with 2 people on it. Click on that icon and it opens up your groups. Click the plus symbol to create your group. I did this to get a group of people together to text when I go into labor with our baby. So I don't have to worry with forgetting anyone or spending a lot of time when there may be little time for it. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This may be along the same lines as a group send. I sent a text to 5 people. It gave me a SENT on the first person but sending on the remaining 4. I just noticed the second person has SENT. I've since sent a text to one of the people in the original 5 and heers is SENDING and not say SENT. I'm I missing something?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones