• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gs2 uses more power while its sleeping!!!

leedunk

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
My Gs2 uses more power overnight when not in use. Funny as it sounds its better on battery during normal use through the day.
I checked the battery stats which are giving me high readings for the andriod os, 90% +. Im fully updated through kies, android 2.3.6.
My phone is not rooted.

Overnight :- All connections swithched off. No updates and just total sleep. All apps under control.
8hrs = 40% battery drain.
Battery stat shows, Android os 90% +

Daytime :- Connections manually controlled by me when i need them. Plenty of texts and some calls. A bit of browsing and use of android market, some photos and a few games.
12hrs = 40% battery drain.
Battery stat show, Android os 35%

I would like to figure this out!
Im sure other people have experienced similar issues.?

Yeah BBS works for all gingerbread phones root or unrooted.... but rooting gives you a chance to do something about it.

I noticed 2 items shows more wakelogs since my update. GTALKSync and Alarm Manager. But those wakelogs occur if have data on. Without it, phone behaves much more reasonable. Anyway, since I actively control my dataline since beginning, doesn't make too much of a difference. And still last a day.

Games are smoother since update I think. Also takes up a bit more juice...

Oh well, something always have to give. :D

Upvote 0
I took a look at the battery stats on the standard samsung battery monitor and it shows my phone was asleep the whole night.
Il try the betterbatterystats app as it may show more hidden info than what the standard samsung battery meter is showing.

Anyway im still using the phone now on the same charge from last night. I have been using it on and off all day for various reasons and i still have a 20% charge left. Its a bit baffling that i have been using it for more than 12 hours and still only used 40% battery, yet 8 hours asleep uses 40% also. Wierd! Lets hope the logs will shine some light.

Upvote 0
If you go to Settings -> Applications -> Battery Usage, you can see what is taking the most battery.

I noticed that you said that all your apps are under control, but there are a lot of hidden things that you may have not noticed that take up battery. There are many simple things that can avoid the loss of battery that not many people do.

For example, the Wi-Fi takes up a solid 8%. When not using your phone, turn off Wi-Fi.

Another example would be using a customization app, such as MagicLocker. That app helps you customize your lock screen in the way you want. It takes up 3%.

Many large games, such as GTA III for the Android phones, take up a huge 14% even when the app is not running.

You may not have the same apps as I do, but you may have similar ones that take up a large amount of battery life.

Don't forget to always confirm that your GPS & Bluetooth are off when not being used.

I suggest you download an app called 'Advanced Task Killer.' What this app does is it gives you the option to close apps that take up battery. The normal Task Manager doesn't give you the option to close a lot of hidden apps, but the ADK does. To make it even better, you can add a widget from that app onto your homescreen that closes every background app just by touching it.

-Toaster II

Upvote 0
I spent a few days testing my Gs2 with various apps to help me along the way.
First i made sure all connections were switched off including background data and syncing off. I closed all apps before sleep and cleared the ram. Battery fully charged before i went to bed.
I checked in the morning 8am and 40% battery had gone 8hrs asleep. I then began to use the phone as usual all day and it still had over 30% power at 10pm.
Then i downloaded advanced task killer and killed all apps and cleared Ram before sleep. I also downloaded Battery monitor which would show me a decent graph for my battery uses.
Same scenario as above and 40% power was gone in the morning again. I checked the battery monitor and it showed a steady decline of power through the night. But as soon as i started using my phone the battery monitor graph levelled out and the phone was great on power all day again. I checked at the end of that day, the graph showed far better stats while the phone was in use. In fact when i use the phone its twice as conservative with power.
Next i put the phone in flight mode over night and cancelled all apps, cleared ram. Guess what? 40% battery drain. ?????

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones