• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hairline crack on edge of LCD screen - should I worry about it?

hanonymus

Lurker
May 2, 2011
Hello all,

I just got an HTC Desire. The phone has no faults (no dead pixels or loose buttons) except for one: there is a hairline crack between the internal (LCD) screen and the external (glass) layer - as shown below.

Other than being there it does not interfere with anything. However, I'm worried about this being another case of light bleeding which in time will become associated with dust getting under the screen. So my questions are:

- should I worry?
- is this common?
- is it a manufacturing fault? (I may be able to have it replaced or at least fixed under warranty).

Any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• hairline.jpg
    hairline.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 153
  • hairline-crack.jpg
    hairline-crack.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 156
hmm thats wierd cos mine has that and it has ever since i bought it. I dont think its a crack cos mine is like it too.. I have always noticed it but never thought its something to worry about, also my mates HTC Desire has it as well cos I checked when i realised mine did.. I think its just normal to be honest.. Has anyone else got it?? :)

Reactions: hanonymus
Upvote 0
hmm im really not sure but mine has always been like it and its not cauing meproblems

A cracked screen causes no problems. If the screen cracks, it is 9/10 times only the glass front above the screen that is broken. All the sensors will run fine. The only problem is that the screen is horrible to look at / through the broken glass. But functionality remains identical, so I wouldn't expect it to cause problems :)

Upvote 0
I left out a piece of info that's perhaps important: the hairline I'm talking about cannot be seen when looking straight at the screen. I have to look at it from "below"; it's only visible at an angle. Not a position likely to occur in normal use.

Anywhoo, I'd still like to know if other units have this issue.

Upvote 0
As Rastaman has already pointed out, it's just light bleed from the SLCD backlight. The fact that ajh94 has seen another three exactld the same and that it can't be seen in 'Normal' use would also suggest that it's merely a feature of the manufacturing process and nothing to worry about.

so u mean to say AMOLED Desires dont have a backlight :/

Correct. Light Emitting Diodes emit their own light;)

Upvote 0
As Rastaman has already pointed out, it's just light bleed from the SLCD backlight. The fact that ajh94 has seen another three exactld the same and that it can't be seen in 'Normal' use would also suggest that it's merely a feature of the manufacturing process and nothing to worry about.

I do understand why it occurs. What I'd like to know is if this is normal or not. (others complain about similar cracks, saying it's a fault and that it generates problems). So far it would seem that my symptom is not a one-off case, but one example (or two) does not make a rule. This is why I'd like to hear from more people.
Does yours have this "feature"?

Upvote 0
I do understand why it occurs. What I'd like to know is if this is normal or not. (others complain about similar cracks, saying it's a fault and that it generates problems). So far it would seem that my symptom is not a one-off case, but one example (or two) does not make a rule. This is why I'd like to hear from more people.
Does yours have this "feature"?

if the crack was further down i would understand it but its not. its about 2mm under the black htc bar and there is no visible crack above it when looking straight down.
you will even see this behaviour on modern tft monitors

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones