• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Handbrake takes over 2 hours to convert .mkv file?

The time taken depends on the conversion settings and your PC speed, but two hours is not unreasonable. Transcoding video is very CPU intensive.

MKV and MP4 are just containers. If you don't want to change the video stream you could just unwrap the MKV and rewrap it into an MP4, and this should only take a few seconds. Think of it as decompressing a zip then making a new zip without changing the contents. I'm not sure if Handbrake does this but there are lots of (nerdy and difficult to use!) apps that can e.g. ffmpeg.

Upvote 0
Two hours seems a little long, but as said above, it depends on settings.

I am using an app called XMedia Recode to repackage my MKV files into Apple TV-friendly MP4 files. This drops the time to about 10-12 minutes per movie since there's no video transcoding, only audio (most MKV files come with DTS audio which gets converted to AAC). While it's not exactly the most easy-to-use app, it's better than most of the others out there.

That only works if you want to keep the video codec the same, though. If you're trying to convert Xvid to X.264 or something, that won't help.

Upvote 0
Looks normal to me. A 660MB file is a very big file. Even my Desktop with i7 and SSD would take a while.

The N7 has a 4core ARM processor and one may think that 4 cores could do the job a lot faster. But an ARM (reduced instruction set) processor is not as powerful as an x86 processor - and then you don't know whether Handbrake even uses all 4 cores.

When I do file conversion on my desktop, only 20% of my CPU is being used and 3 of the 8 cores are completely idle.

Upvote 0
This is why I always get my media players to be able to play anything so much easier then trying to change formats on every file
For playback this is, of course, the ideal solution. But sometimes you cannot avoid a conversion.

I have a superb lossless video editor (on the PC) that accepts only .avi and .wmv. So sometime you need to convert. And .flv is a problem with most editors - even in WMM, but they fixed it in WLMM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones