• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent and Chomp VS Stock (laggy)

Stock messaging app has become very laggy with over 3000 messages, some spawning threads of around 800 messages.

Also, deleting them, while being an option, shouldn't be necessary. I delete all of my messages at the start of a new billing cycle and that's how it's always been with my smartphones, so none of those suggestions please :D

For those of you who use 3rd party SMS apps, with large amounts of text messages, do you notice any of them being laggy?

It's a topic that's come up a lot in my main section (the HTC Hero). From what I've read, no matter whether you use a 3rd party or stock SMS app, having thousands of SMS messages will slow things down. Countless people have reported that, past a certain point, it becomes extremely hard to even delete the messages, given how slow things run. (Obviously newer phones might be able to handle more messages, but at some point you are going to reach the limit).

A third alternative you may not have though of is moving the messages to your gmail account. I forget the name of the app, but you can upload all of your messages to gmail, where the become emails between you and your google contacts. Let their servers handle the 3000 messages, not your poor phone :p

(It's not such a great idea if your contacts aren't saved in google though).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones