• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root handcent voice message not working

The voice recorder does not come up when I select it to record a voice message. I can go through all the steps to do it: hit the plus symbol(now the lightning bolt w/upgrade), select 'audio', then select 'record audio' then...nothing. Just goes back to the message screen. So far, I cannot find anyone who is having this problem. I've uninstalled\reinstalled 3x. Samsung Fascinate

Any help here-PLEASE?? This is not for 'talk to text'. This is for sending a voice text(record what you want to say and sending as a text, (MMS SMS-whatever it is). Sure I do have a seperate recorder app outside of my text messaging drivers (Handcent, Chomps), but that is just another step to doing what I should be able to do through a regular text. Mostly use this with a couple of family members when I or my kids want to 'say' something, but do not want to call and carry on a conversation for any given length. We'll respond back and forth a couple times, so it's good to be able to do this in a reply to an existing text.

My sister was just up here visiting from out of state and has an LG Ally on 2.1, her husband has original Droid on 2.2, and they also have LG Vortex on 2.2. All of there phones can do this-they didn't believe it when I said my wifes and mine do not. He works with home theater installation and use many different gadgets and said it makes no sense why it does not work-feels Fascinate lacks the driver to do it even though it shows it in it's menu if you follow the steps to get there to record(steps listed in first post above).

I've emailed Handcent-they thought I was talking about talk to text, I replied I wasn't and they have not responded back (2 weeks now). I went to Best Buy where I got the phone and they had no clue, only one guy there has Fascinate and he's on vaca for couple weeks. Called Verizon and spoke to 3 reps who couldn't get talk to text out of their heads and overall had no clue what I was talking about, 2 of which said what I was describing cannot be done with any phone!!! Really, well I've been using that feature for 3 years now and many others do to.

I do not know anyone else around hear (west Salem OR) who has a Fascinate to see if theirs is capable or not.

That being said, I also am experiencing problems when sending a picture text or video. Most of the time they will not go through at all. It will just show sending and never go through. It will finally come back showing it didn't about a day or two later. Again, have asked numerous people about this and no one else experiences my prob. My wifes phone seems to be ok with this-takes a while sometimes, but always goes through. No this is not just happening at home-happens all over. I have do *228 about 3-4 per week and then they seem to be good for a day or two. While my sister was here, they had no probs whatsoever. Best Buy recommended doing a complete reset of my phone to see if that would fix all my probs(I don't see how) and if not, then replacing my phone. I don't want to go through that if it's a mute point.

Lastly...... our numbers are from AZ, then we moved to OR last year. I got my daughter a line after we moved here with an OR prefix. Never had problems until received Fascinate, but now when I 'reply' to a text from her, it gives me an error code saying error code '0' ' bad number'?? So I have to start a new text string to respond to her. I've seen on other sites where people have same probs and some have said they put in full number with area code and it works fine, but I always save numbers with area code too and it still is not working. No real solutions though.

Anyway-sorry for such a long post but wanted to say what I've tried, what know already so you can figure something else out that I have not tried or known about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones