• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has any one figured out the threat?

Would you feel comfortable being spied on?

• Total voters

HasH_BrowN

Android Expert
Jun 11, 2015
Leesburg, Fl
1468636590771.jpg

Think this is a hoax??
Anyone taken a look at the code??
Where exactly are the servers??

I, first hand, watched someone videoing vehicle tags, they said the Pokémon were on the bumpers. Plus there were other events I watched unfold to point directly at spying.

Let's hear some feedback!! No flaming, but intelligent dialog.

Well it undoubtedly collects enough info to gather plenty about everyone. Where they work, go to school, by their coffee, shop, who they are friends with.

It's scary in that regard. Course, all this could be gathered by Google just as well.

That said, if millions are being tracked what are the odds I individually have a concern. Marketing, social research, etc, are probably the much bigger threat.

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0
I normally keep my location turned off. I turn it on only when playing..not driving to where I'm going to play, and definitely not when shopping, at work etc. I normally don't use google maps or other apps that need location. I will also turn it on if I want to geotag a photo. I guess that would make tracking me very boring.

Upvote 0
The thing is the game is being pushed, by various departments in the government, without a public agenda. Its all hush-hush.

Yes Google tracks us, without a doubt. But Google isn't the gov't. (at least on this issue), Google uses the stored data they collect for marketing and for presenting "things". The company that developed the game might have a hidden agenda or dealings with the US gov't.

I'm not trying to cause panic, rather trying to make people aware of the possible impending doom that is about to happen. This game is like an GPS anklet for home arrest. They know everything you do.

Nobody seems to read any of the permissions or they don't understand what it is they are granting permission for. In a basic nutshell, this game is the perfect spy app. There isn't the need for "little green men in the trees", we have the public for that. It's like a precursor for the RFID chips. That's a whole other story, left for another day.

THX 1138
& others
It all starts somewhere.

(I have a mind that wanders, like my own personal think tank. I'm not a conspiracy nut, I just don't trust the government. They have lied too many times.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones