• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone ever used the return period?

ardyer

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
Northern Virginia
Has anyone ever canceled their contract within the 30 day return period T-Mobile offers? Are there any hidden catches?

My contract ends this month and I get terrible service at home, but the customer rep swore it was probably because my old phone was only 2G and my home gets "excellent" 3G service and I could try out a new, 3G phone with a new contract and if I still got poor reception I could cancel my contract and return the phone at the end of the trial period.

I want to make sure there are not hidden traps with this that would lock me up for another 2 years with bad reception.

The only hidden trap I would consider is that normally it is 14 days on the return policy with contract, 30 when you pay full retail on a new phone. The only exception(that I am aware of) is in California where it is always 30 days. I'm not sure about Virginia.

But quite frankly, if you have poor Edge coverage, 3G isn't going to help you out much.

Reactions: ardyer
Upvote 0
The only hidden trap I would consider is that normally it is 14 days on the return policy with contract, 30 when you pay full retail on a new phone. The only exception(that I am aware of) is in California where it is always 30 days. I'm not sure about Virginia.

But quite frankly, if you have poor Edge coverage, 3G isn't going to help you out much.

Good to know about the 14 days. I figured the same about the 3G vs. Edge coverage, but if returning is simple, it is probably worth the attempt. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Returning a phone/cancelling a contract is easy as long as you're within the return period. I extended my contract and got the Motorola cliq xt and used it for 10 days but decided it lagged too much so I went back to the store where I purchased it and returned it with no problems. They put my account back to the way it was before my upgrade. And I don't think I paid a restocking fee either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones